User Profile
im using this as a last resort type of thing so i can have a better piece of mind and maybe actually be able to sleep at night.

my entire life i have had a condition where tiny red bumps (like small mosquito bumps) appear on my stomach, neck, back , behind my ears and on the underside of my forearms. usually only a few would appear, and then go away about 30 or 40 minutes later, but would itch like crazy. im not sure if ive ever had hives before, and ive never really considered asking my doctor about it until now because it has gotten much worse. when i lived with my parents, it wasnt bad, until i moved to the metro-western area of boston for school.

im a sucker for heat because i get cold very easily...who can blame me, i'm a walking twig. i almost always take really hot showers, and always load on blankets on my bed at night. it wasnt until a few weeks ago when i really started to feel uncomfortable. showers arent as enjoyable because the second it gets hot i get a terrible bumpy itchy rash on my buttocks, inner thighs and calves, stomach and back. getting out of the shower you'd think i had a disease or something. at night i cant sleep unless im too tired to think about anything. im itchy mostly on my back at night.

i dont notice this much when im outside (being in new england between oct & march its pretty much freezing all the time) or in comfortable temperature environments; only when i bundle up.

i am allergic to scented soaps and fabric softener, though im not sure about any foods, and i have eaten out alot lately.

i have allergies and a small case of asthma

my skin is pretty sensitive, not to mention dry, though i try to moisturize as much as possible

so whats going on? i would lovvve to know what i may possibly have and maybe help prevent it so i can treat it on my own before resorting to a doctor, especially since my insurance doesnt kick in for another month. sleeping at night would be so much easier. =)

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2007
Acne, Skin Disorders Answer A2228
According to your description (“tiny red itching bumps that become worse after taking a shower”) and your medical history of existing allergic diseases (asthma, sensitive skin, allergy to certain substances…) you might be experiencing an allergic skin reaction. You may need to take several allergy tests to the cause of the reaction. You can consult a dermatologist-allergist for an expert opinion and treatment. If the rash is caused by an allergy you may need to take an antihistaminic (loratadine, ceterizine) before sleep, but this will be prescribed if needed.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.