User Profile
Or at least hes trying to quit

im so proud of him, anyone have any ideas on how I can help him? He was eating like a mad man yesterday, so instead of running out of food im gonna get him a bunch of gum and lollipops today, I just want it to really stick, I hate his smoking (even though he goes outside, I can still smell it, and I know how bad it is for him) and he knows how much I dont like it, he doesnt like it eaither cause he knows its bad for the baby (and me) and its bad for him too...So I really hope he stays with it and doesnt give in

he had 3 ciggarettes yesterday, those were his last 3, he told me he wouldnt buy more today

only annoying thing is that he throws them out yesterday after a friend of his online started !**@! at him for smoking...Bleh, whatever, at least his quitting

so any ideas or advise

~alicia~
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Eh I dont really know other then dont keep alot of junk food around, my dad quit for like a year and packed on 40 lbs and then started up smoking again rather then gaining more weight lol. I think lollipops are a good idea so he has something with the hand to mouth thing going on instead of smoking ya know. I guess if ya find you get the urge to smoke try and find something to keep ya busy like something hands on more so, rather then tryin to read a book or something I dont think that would help keep you occupied. Like er do laundry etc lol.
|

Experienced User
Do what I did buy some smoking patches if you get the exact brand they are like twenty dollars and you get seven in box. They worked really good for me I started on the 14 mg then whenever I got use to it it I went down to 7mg within three weeks I didn't smoke anymore. And the good thing about smoking patches is that you don't just quit cold turkey so your not really putting stress on your body.
|

Experienced User
I made some comments in the quit smoking section of these forums. I highly recommend you visit that section. If you can get your husband to read my comments as well.

All I can say now, is get the book easy way to quit smoking. Check it out on the net, and in yahoo questions. It worked wonders for me to quit.
|

Experienced User
Just try your best to be supportive... I used to smoke between 5 and ten cigarettes a day begore .I got pregnant, but as soon as .I founf out .I quit. My bf used to smoke more than me, but he's cut back a lot. I try not to nag him about it, because he knows he needs to quit too. Just focus on his successes, and not his failures. Hope everything works out!!!

<3 .Sophie
|

Experienced User
Try to get some tart, fruity type lollipops..Pesonal experience...A smoker's sense of tast is usually somewhat dulled and the fruity type (i used jolly ranchers) helped...The stick helped with the psychological feeling, as well as something to do with the hands, part....Good luck to your bf....The patch also helped quite a bit with the physical cravings...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks everyone

i know I have to support him and focus on the positive, im trying

as for the patches, he can get a perscription for that from medical for free, so im gonna try to get him to do that

ill try to find something bitter fruitty that he will eat, hes a very picky eater, I think I might try some jolly rancher something, he likes jolly ranchers, well some flavors

~alicia~
|

Experienced User
If hes going to start taking the patch just make sure that he gets the right
one there 7 mg ,14 mg then I think theres a 20 but anyway it says on the box which one you should take depending on how much you smoke a day. Whenever I first tried the patch I bought the 20 mg and it was way too much it made me feel dizzy and really sick then I tried the 7 mg and that worked a way better for me then I had no problems from there Smile aside from my arm being itchy all the time but thats normal Wink
|

Extremely eHealthy
Great advice from sophie585. If he has a slip up, don't be mad, just encourage him to keep trying.
Quitting is hard. I used lollipops and sugarless gum. It is important to find something to do to occupy the hands and mind when a craving comes on.
If he likes to have a drink I don't suggest it. For many people a drink and a smoke go together, and it's easy to say "i'm only going to have a couple tonight because i'm drinking". I've tried to quit and started again using this excuse.
The patch works well, but you do have to get the right dose. There is a company called cigarest, and they are a rip off. Just an fyi.
|

Thank you its nice to see you are proud of me even when u wont tell me I know u love me and I love u too and I will stick with it cause I want to make u happy
|

User Profile
Supporter
Buy him lots and lots of gum!

Good luck hubby Wink
|

Experienced User
New dad, I really suggest you get the book easy way to quit smoking. It is cheaper than the patches, and nicorette gum. Not only that it works sooooo much better. I also suggest you get it on amazon.Com for second hand.

I say this as an exsmoker, I gain nothing if you buy the book or not. I have had many friends read the book, while I laughed at the idea of the whole thing. I thought it was stupid. I wasted two years until I decided to give the book a try. I was like magic. I tried it all first, patches, gum, will power, the whole thing. I wish I had of read the book two years ago.

People who read the book have close to a 90% success rate in quitting. The gum and patches are only 20%, and they cost more.

Think about it, you are going to use nicotene to get off nicotene. How much sense is that??? You need to change your thinking about cigarettes. Until that happens chances are you are going to be craving them for a long time, and if you use the patches, it just draws the whole withdrawl suffering thing out. What should take 3-5 days, takes weeks on the gum and patches. Ouch.

Trust me, get the book. This is not a sales gimmick.
|