Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Postpartum and Postnatal Forum

Postpardum Carpal Tunnel And Arthritis Due to Prenancy

I was told that I obtained carpal tunnel due to pregnancy. I have been told that it is common and will go away. I also am having joint pain in my knees as well. My doctor told me it would go away soon. I am now almost 4 months postpardum. Any info or help would be great. Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I am due in march, and my hands have been numb for months!!! My ob said it is very common and will without a doubt go away after the baby is born, especially if there is not history of carpel tunnel.
With pregnancy everything swells including your arms, even if you can't see that their swollen. There are like 100 little nerves that run in the wrist, so it's easy to imagine how things can get pinched off. The root of my carpel tunnel is actually in my armpits. My ob referred me to a do (physical therapist), which I see every 2 weeks. It doesn't relieve all of my symptoms, but does make it a bit better for the short term.

What I like the best is that she cracks my back and neck which feels amazing.

What also works is sleeping with braces on my wrists, so I don't bend them in my sleep. If you are sitting in a chair, put a pillow under your elbows so your arms are a bit elevated. This promotes better circulation.

Good luck to you.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....