Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Migraines During Pregnancy

User Profile
Hi girls,

yesterday morning when I woke up I was seeing strange bright spots on one side only (my right eye). It took about a half hour to an hour for it to go away. Once it went away I developed a major migraine which was with me all day and didnt go away until I finally broke down and took some tylenol last night before bed. (i hate taking anything during pregnancy, but I didn't have a choice at this point it was take it for the pain or start throwing up)

i was wondering if anyone else experienced what they call migraines with aura during their pregnancy and how they delt with them?

Anyone with any information, I would greatly appreciate. I am going to see my doctor on wednesday this week to talk about them among other things.

Thanks,

mary

14 wks....3 days due july 13th
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2007
Supporter
I too have been getting severe headaches. I've read the main cause for bad headaches or migraine's during pregnancy is hormonal changes, stress and tension on your neck and back as you get bigger. Tension in you neck and back will cause nasty tension headaches, what I usually do is try and relax have a hot bath and get someone to give me a nice back/neck rub. As for stress headaches , again you just have to ease your mind ... But in the end sometimes headaches just dont go away. Make sure you talk to your doctor because migraines are a terrible thing to live with.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Be careful with writing off headachs during pregnancy. I got one really bad and I called my doctor and went to the hostpital and about 1/2 an hour later I started have seszers. The spots and headaches are sometimes a cause of hypertension in pregnancy.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Yeah, migraines are aweful. I have suffered most of my life with them. At one point I was on meds to keek me from even having them. They were wonderful, but I didnt want to take them forever.

Today I have such a serious sensitivity to smell that I just hurled my breakfast up. It was aweful and of course now I feel terrible. I stomach hurts from getting sick.

I am going in to see my doctor wed, so we will definitly be talking about whats going on. I already have bad back pain, as I am overweight to begin with, so I suspect that I am going to be put off work early, which would not be good as my hubby is on his way home from alberta on saturday and will be out of work for at least a mth from what we know down here with the company he works for in halifax. Frustrating, but normal for this time of year.

Anyways, I just hope that I start to feel better soon. This sensitivity to smells is killer tho!!

Thanks girls,

mary
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I have arnold chiari malformation i. I've had severe migraines since I was 12. Pregnancy worsens my condition. If you don't lik etaking tylenol then you probably wouldn't like that I take vicodin when absolutely necessary.
|

User Profile
replied January 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I get migraines like you describe about once or twice a fortnight. I'm not pregnant and I don't know what causes them but they are getting more frequent and i'm too scared to go to the doctor in case something is wrong Crying or Very sad
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Becks it could simply be migraines and nothing worse. I've had them for about the past 8 years or so. I usually get about two a month. I thought something was seriously wrong with me, but that wasn't the case. Simple migraines and nothing more. I took excedrin migraine until I got preggo and that stuff works beautifully. I had a script for imitrex before that but the imitrex made me sick. What works really well too is to drink a can of coke (quickly) and lie down for a few. You'll get up a new person.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hi girls,

i am not worried about my migraines. My family is tho. I had an aunt who died at the age of 26 (i think) from a disease that she had, some sort of brain disease and I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me. She had all the same things going on that I have, but I have told the doctors and they are not worried. Often times its just migraines and nothing more than that. I am sure thats all you are having beckster, it could also be due to stress. It doesn't hurt for you to go to the doctor because if something was wrong, wouldnt you want to know and get it taken care of so that you can live a long happy life with your kids?

Take care all,

mary
|
Must Read
Intense pain, sensitivity to light and nausea. All signs of a migraine. But what is a migraine headache? And what can trigger it? Migraine basics here....
Migraine symptoms are easy to recognize. But what signs precede a migraine? And which symptoms are present during different types of migraines? Read more here....
What types of doctors diagnose migraines? And what tests do they use? Learn how to understand migraine symptoms and put them in perspective here....