I was diagnosed with a mild form of gout 3 days ago. I'm not really sure I have the gout. I thought maybe you folks could help shed some light on my suspicions that i've been misdiagnosed.

I have never had a typical gout attack, i.E., pain in big tow accompanied by swelling, redness and excruciating pain. My symptoms are in my fingers. Fingers on right hand are swollen and middle knuckles enlarged. No redness or excruciating pain. I have a nodule on the middle knuckle of my left hand that is not painful at all. I don't even know when it appeared. Just happened to notice it one day.

My right hand swelling and soreness has been that way for a year. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that my back doctor referred me to a rheumatologist. He suspected ra or oa, not gout. As a matter of fact when an er doctor told me he thought I had gout one time when I had bad knee pain, my back doctor laughed and said no, it's not gout. He injected my knee with that "rooster cologen" stuff and the pain left, never to return.

I've never had pain in my big toe. Also, the radiologist who just recently read the xrays of my hands said he thought it was osteoarthritis, not the gout causing the disfigurement. My doctor said no, he thinks it's the gout. When I asked how high the ur was in the blood, his response was "high enough." so tell me what is the actual number that would indicate I have the gout? Should I get fluid drawn from the knuckle to get a 100% diagnosis? If so i'll consult another doctor.

Also, my rheumatologist is having me take a 24 hour urine test. Is that to see if I have ua in my tissues?

Thanks for your help. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....