My girlfriend of nearly two years broke up with me almost 3 months ago. Our relationship had been perfect in our eyes up until college started for the both of us. We each took our separate paths and I suppose she just fell outta love with me and in love with college. She told me she no longer wanted to have a boyfriend and just wanted to live for herself and friends for now. Of course, this shattered me. She was so obsessed with me all the way up until she gained all these new friends whereas I was still in love with her as much as ever before. She even went on to find a new boyfriend and is now "in love" again. This just rips my heart apart and i'm so confused. I thought she dumped me because she didn't want the commitment, and suddenly she's with someone else! This would be much easier if I didn't live so close to her college and have to drive near it every day to get to work. We live in a small town so it just kills me to know she's doing everything she used to do with me with her new boyfriend not even a mile from my house. How do I cope with this and just finally stop loving her? I'm also afraid of how difficult it will be for me to find someone else. I have zero confidence after all of this. She claims she's so much more in love now than she ever was with me. It's like she tells me these things just to make it even more difficult.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2007
Supporter
I'm so sorry! Breaking up is hard to do. Right now, you are in so much pain it won't really matter what anyone else says. But just know that it will get easier.

You go through things in life to help you grow and learn, and it will make you a stronger person.

Good luck hun!
|

replied January 19th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Still Haven't Moved On
rhcp wrote:
my girlfriend of nearly two years broke up with me almost 3 months ago. Our relationship had been perfect in our eyes up until college started for the both of us. We each took our separate paths and I suppose she just fell outta love with me and in love with college. She told me she no longer wanted to have a boyfriend and just wanted to live for herself and friends for now. Of course, this shattered me. She was so obsessed with me all the way up until she gained all these new friends whereas I was still in love with her as much as ever before. She even went on to find a new boyfriend and is now "in love" again. This just rips my heart apart and i'm so confused. I thought she dumped me because she didn't want the commitment, and suddenly she's with someone else! This would be much easier if I didn't live so close to her college and have to drive near it every day to get to work. We live in a small town so it just kills me to know she's doing everything she used to do with me with her new boyfriend not even a mile from my house. How do I cope with this and just finally stop loving her? I'm also afraid of how difficult it will be for me to find someone else. I have zero confidence after all of this. She claims she's so much more in love now than she ever was with me. It's like she tells me these things just to make it even more difficult.

------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------

are you still talking to her and she told you she loves you *after* she broke up with you, and started dating someone else?? Bs..!

I know it's hard right now. It will get better- this pain will go away, unfortunately time is the best thing. You can make that go faster, by picking up a hobby, starting a new class- like kick boxing, or fishing.

It will help- and before you know it- things will be better. There are so many people you haven't met yet.. Smile

-=red=-
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2007
Experienced User
Hey there rhcp. Hope your doing better. I know its been awhile since your original post but I just wanted to give my thoughts. The best thing you can possible to do get over this girl and the relatinship as a whole (which is what you need to do considering shes already moved on) is isolate yourself from her, her belongings and everything. All physical things will bring up old memories...So nothing physical of hers with you. Pac all the stuff you had together in a box and lock it away somewhere. Do not talk to her. Let her live her life with her new boyfriend and you can start yours..I know its hard man.

Another thing is this happens more than you think. Going away to college changes everyone period. I had to break off a relationship that was going strong for 2.5 years becuase of college. She was younger than me and deeply in love with me...But I knew I didnt want to put either of us though that whole mess. When someoen goes away to college they meet new people, are in a new invorment and learn about "new" things. Its best to make that journy out of a relationship becuase it will only bring drama. Best of luck
|

replied February 4th, 2007
Experienced User
Just wanted to add that i'm having the same problem at the moment, and that I also lost all confidence since then. The gf told me that nothing is my fault, I was great etc. But then I feel like if i'm punished for no reason.

I'm ignoring her. She's always telling me "but you are still my favorite don't worry" but I had to say no. I can't pretend that i'm not hurt. She says she doesn't understand why we can't be friends but I told her that it's easy for her to say that since she doesn't love me no more, while I do.

I don't know if she really meant that I was still her favorite, but I don't want her to keep me as an emercengy exit in case her actual bf would let her down.

Moreover, she chose to break up a relationship because of her feelings, well then it is my right to choose to ignore her to spare mine.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
You guys gota realize that our significat other isint everything, you are first. What makes you healthy and happy is what you need...If its that person and you make that other person happy and healthy thats what a relationship should be.

Of course you have to compromise...But not 2 the point where it really hurts one another.
|

I know the feeling, today about 4 hours ago I got the word that I was being dumped. The basic reason was she still had feelings for her ex and was no longer in love with me. I'm still in shock.
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2007
Experienced User
One quick note i'd like to add here, it's not your fault, people do crap like this, men and women, and it's rarely ever about the partner who's hurt in the relationship...It's about the one who's ending it, their issues...Actually they're probably doing you a huge favor, getting themselves out of your life before you married/had kids, and then found out you were with a loser!

All my best...Just remember, time heals all wounds.
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Try to move on...
I have to share something about my situation right now. I been in a relationship for 1 year, I give everything-my virginity to him, thought he was the one. I am in my early 30 and him in his late 30, but one day he told me that he is not ready for the next step, that was so hurt and untill now it's been 3 months I still can't forget him. Although I tried to date it just not helping that much at the moment.I hope that you will move on and forget her, same as I am to him. People like that are not worthy of our tears and sadness.
|

replied July 11th, 2009
Am I wrong
Me and Ex were together for a year and I never fell in love with her. I didn't like her like that at all anymore, so I broke up with her. She also just had a child by me in that process of being with each other. Was I wrong for breaking up with her?
|

replied July 11th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
So she was good enough for you to have sex with, but not to love? And so you go ahead and not use protection, get her pregnant, then just decide to move on? I don't understand people like you. If you knew you didn't want to make a baby with her, why didn't you use protection? Now an innocent child has to suffer, when he/she finds out that his/her father never loved his mother at all? Postively disgusting. Were you wrong for breaking up with her? No! You were wrong for starting a relationship that lasted a year with a person you did not love to begin with. And you were wrong to have sex with her, and use her like you did. Yes, some of the blame falls on her too, for letting you walk all over her, but she no doubt did it because she loved and trusted you. And this is how she is repayed. I don't know how people like you can sleep at night.
|
Quick Reply