I can rarely get .Rowan to burp. She'll fall asleep at the boob, i'll try and burp her, nothing will come up and she won't even wake up, and then I put her down and with in ten minutes she is crying. I assumed she wanted more boob so every time she does this I put her back on, but I was told to try and burp her when she keeps waking up, and that she might only be taking the boob and using it as a pacifier (which makes sense because she'll only suck for a little while and fall back asleep). I really hope this is the problem because then it will solve these 7 hour feeding times!

Well my question is do any of you ladies have a good technique that works to get the gas out of your babies???? Burping tricks please!

Also, in the hospital I was told that my bleeding should go lightish pink or brownish within a few days, and that if it stays bright red to make an appointment with a Dr. How long did your bleeding take to not be all bright red because mine still is and i'm getting worried and really stressed at the idea of having to deal with going to the dr and having to put energy into something being wrong with me. I'm hoping it's normal 6 days after birth to still have this type bright red bleeding because I can't deal with anything other than baby right now!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
When .I can't get .Kaylee to burp I sit her up & put my hand under her chin to hold her up & pat her back... That always works for us...

As for the bleeding ... The first 2 weeks my bleeding was still very bright red & everything turned out fine. The doc told me I started being active again too quickly.

.Michelle
|

User Profile
Supporter
With the whole falling asleep while breastfeeding, try massaging around her mouth when she stops drinking, or rub her feet gently. That should help. It did with my boys anyway.

And for your actual question, I did the same as the poster above.
|

Extremely eHealthy
The nurse told me that breastfeed babies don't burp as much as bottle babies, so it's okay if she don't.
We sit ava up on our left leg and while supporting her we bounce our leg up and down 3-4 times than lean her over the other leg with her head supported and pat her back. It almost always works.
|

Especially eHealthy
Breast fed babies don't take in the air that bottle fed babies do, therefore they do burp less. I just used my shoulder and gently patted the babies backs while rocking them. If they burped, great. If not, I figured they didn't have any air in them.

Bleeding shouldn't be a concern unless it is more than usual or very clotty. 6 days is still early into your post partum time. Get as much rest as you can.
|

replied January 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
ingi wrote:
breast fed babies don't take in the air that bottle fed babies do, therefore they do burp less. I just used my shoulder and gently patted the babies backs while rocking them. If they burped, great. If not, I figured they didn't have any air in them.

i had the same burping concerns tanya. My midwife said exactly what ingi did, and showed me the best way is to put her on your shoulder, gently rubbing/patting her back. They seem so delicate at first, I was scared about doing it too hard etc. Lucas was totally breastfed and didnt get much gas. They all seem to have a crying time tho...Usually at night for us.

Hope things are going well.
|

replied January 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I breast fed .Melia. And she didn't burp so much....But I would prop her on my sholder and pat her back, I would also prop her up on my knees and hold her head in my hands and pat her back....You can also lay her accross your knees and pat her back. Now that she is bottle fed she burps like crazy and if I dotn' burp her she will projectile lanch her milk. It's crazy

as for the bleeding....I had a section and I bled bright red for 10 days and then it slacked off. So I dont know for sure.
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....