Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Still Experiencing Pain*

Hello- I am a 21 year old female- and a few months ago- in mid- august I made the decision to have an abortion. Everything went fine-although it was extremely nerveracking and emotional- now almost 5 months later I am still experiencing lower abdomen pain in my right side. I am not sure if this could be realated or not- I went to the emergency room a couple of times because I thought it might be a my appendix or something else really serious- through various tests (can scans, ultrasounds, etc) they ruled out anything "life-threatening" however I am still nervous as to what this could be. It is not a severe sharp pain it is more like a dull gnawing pain that is always there and makes me uncomfortable. I read online that sometimes surgical abortions may cause scar tissue and I don't know if this could be my problem- I was just hoping someone who may have experienced this same kind of things could be of some assistence. I just want to know if it could be related to my abortion or if it is perhaps something totally different and what I should do next. All my doctors don't seem to think it's anything urgent and it kind of pisses me off! Thanks for your help Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Suction aspiration abortion, which is doen nowadays, does not create the same scar tissue as teh 'scraping style' abortions did 'back in the day'.

I have had 3 abortions, and I have had a hysteroscopy(big camera goes into my uterus to see what it looks like), I have no scar tissue.

Are you on birth control?

You could have fibroids,or the pain could even be related to an std infection like chlamydia, which has no symptoms in most women. :/

you could also have cysts. I have cysts on my ovaries, my right one, and it frequently hurts.

Problem is that cysts can be difficult to pick up on an scan because thery come and go so quickly.
|

Thanks for your reply!
I have been to the er twice and done all the tests- the first time I went, like I said I was all freaked out and thought it was my appendix- however the cat scan showed everything there to be normal- however the doctor said although this is not the test to see ovarian cysts there seemed to be some fluids that he could see that suggested a cyst.
So the next time I went back with the same pain a month later I got ultrasouds done (the one right on top of the stomache and the vaginal one that looks inside) and everything appeared to be normal- as bad as it sounds I was hoping that would just find something because I am getting so frustrated with the pain and discomfort.
-you also mentioned stds- I have had about 3 different pap smears from different doctors and they have checked for all different kinds of stds and infections and everything has been negative!

Finally- you asked if I was on birth control- and no I have not been since my abortion in august when all the problems started. Prior to that I had been on the birth control pill for about 8months.
When I went to the gyno to talk about my pain she suggested that I try a new pill (ortho-tricyclen) for a couple of months and see if that takes the pain away- however I was afraid this would makes things worse. The other suggestion is to get a laporoscopy- which I am also nervous about.

*so should I try the birthcontrol pill? Can that actually make a difference?
Thanks for your time
|

Extremely eHealthy
If it is a cyst, which is highly likely, then birth control pills shrink cysts and prevent them from coming back.

Cysts happen because women ovulate, the birth control pill prevents ovulation, so cysts are well managed.

I would say to try the birth control.

Most likely it is a cyst. They come and go in a flash, so sometimes 'catching' then is difficult.
|

replied January 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
The ortho-tricyclen pills, along with the lower dose verson ortho-lo, are wonderful Smile i've never had any problems with them, and in fact, my life is far more pleasant on them, since I don't have debilitating pain one a month, and my periods are down to about a day or two - as opposed to three or four. I didn't bloat or gain weight, or have personality changes. I'm also not pregnant, which was my initial intention Wink
|

Thank you very much for your replies. I actually have the perscription filled- I was going to start the pills (ortho tricyclen lo) last cycle but then I was worried about side affects I might have from the pill. I get worried when I read about blood clots and all the other side effects that could occur even tho I am 21 years old, do not smoke and in pretty good shape. Hopefully once I start the pills this nagging pain will go away- I have one more question: how long can pain from ovarian cysts go on because this pain has beeen present for like 4 months- off and on but mostly on. And there is no way that it would be my appendix if it hurt for this long correct? I know I already got that checked out once but everytime the pain gets a little worse i'm like oh great I think my appendix is really gonna burst this time. I know I am probably just being paranoid. Anyway thanks again for your replies- they really helped Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
If it was your appendix, you would not only be vommiting, but you would not be with us right now.
If your appendix ruptures, you will die form lack medical care.

Side effects on the pill are pretty mild for almost all women, blood clots are a big risk factor in women that smoke.
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....