Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Bipolar, Pregnant And a Military Wife....

I am 32 weeks pregnant with my first. Have been diagnosed bipolar since I was 13, am now almost 22. I stopped taking my meds for fear of harming the baby. My husband is military, and has been away most of the pregnancy , got to see him at christmas. He leaves for iraq in a few months after i'm due to have our daughter. I am currently living at a horrible post that I recently got to and between my depression and the pregnancy its hard for me to get out and meet people. So I came here looking for someone to talk to. I haven't been this depressed since I was a teen. I cry at everything, and have bad thoughts about my life, and my pregnancy. I know I would never do anything, for the babies sake , but its killing me feeling like this. I love my husband dearly. He is a great guy when he wants to be, and he has been great with putting up with the bipolar.But he doesn't understand how things work , with my hormones adding the factor of bipolar. I have no one to talk to really. I was just hoping someone out there can relate a bit, and talk with me. I'm losing my mind. For most of the pregnancy, I was moderate , but the past month or so I have been getting worse. Is this normal? Is it cause i'm getting closer to giving birth? I am so terrified , specially of the postpartum. Thanks for reading this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Well I know nothing about the bipolar but I have suffered from depression in the past and was on meds stopped when I got pregnant with my son, ive dealt with post partum depression as well, my husband is military he joined when our first was 4 mths old so I didnt see much of him then but now hes been here but possibly may be leaving this yr for a deployment . I just moved to this base injuly so I know only a few people but I dont talk to them much I am here if u want to talk to someone though Smile I am 22 years old
|

User Profile
Where at in texas are you? I am 22 also, and 20 weeks pregnant. Dh just got back from a deployment about 20 weeks ago, and it's been a big roller coaster of emotions...Through the deployment, being medevac'd home, ending up in germany, finally home, and then me getting pregnant. So lots of ups and downs. I was on anti depressants the majority of the time he was gone, and didn't feel the need to take them once he got home. About 11 weeks into my pregnancy, all I could do is be sad and depressed. Have you talked to your dr about how you are feeling? Or maybe consider speaking to a chaplain? Just so you and dh can talk things through before he leaves. If you need someone to talk to I am always on myspace. I couldn't imagine giving birth and then watching my husband deploy weeks later. It's going to be a tough time i'm sure, you just have to tell yourself that you are stronger than a deployment.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
You really need to see a doc and get back on your meds. You're far enough along now that the benefits from the meds outweigh the risk to the baby.

If you are feeling like this now it is gonna be 100x worse after the baby is here and you get hit with post partum depression (which with your history is very likely) yuo need to seek professional help and try and make yourself a network of people so you don't lose your mind after the baby is born, you wouldn't want to do something you regret.

Pm me if you want. I have suffered from depression for yrs and had bad post partum depression and know quite a few people who are bi-polar.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
You need to take your medication. With your history, severe post partum depression is very likely. Talk to your doctor about restarting your meds now. They take a while to build up in your system...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I know how you feel, sorta

im 18 and 21 weeks pregnant with my first, my fiancee is in the navy and hes due to ship out to barain or saudi arabia (cant remember which) about 3 or 4 weeks after the baby is born, and he just informed me today hes going to jacksonville in feburary

but at least I have my mum here and ive been here for about 2 years (june will make it 2)

do you have family or old friends on the internet you could talk to?

Well either way, if you need anything or just want to vent or whatever you can always pm me, and im on myspace if youd rather use that

~alicia~
|

There are medications that can be taken safely in pregnancy. You really need to check with your doctor to see if you can get put back on some type of medication to help you. Then you will feel more like meeting people, which you need to do. Best of luck to you!
|

Experienced User
Hi hun.. My husband is as well military and it is hard as heck.. At this point he isnt facing iraq so I cant feel ya there. But every 4 months he leaves me for three months with no contact. He is on a navy sub. Which are secretive. Its hard. Im 35 weeks along and he leaves for a nother deployment two weeks after the baby is due. The best thing I cant think of is get back in the meds and find a support system. Family is a huge support system or even old friends that you can contact over the phone. Keep your doctor and husband posted about your feelings. Engage yourself into your baby! Ry to find something that will help. Swimming helps me sometimes and even little craft work helps too! This all can help to alliviate your depression. I wish you luck and if you need anyone to talk to im here for ya! Pm me and if you want ill give ya my number.. Keep me posted.. Take care sweety.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...