I recently went for a eye exam ..Only the second one in my adult life...After dialating my eyes and while looking at them the doc says that I had characteristic in my right eye that he usually only sees in african americans eyes..Something to do with a brown spot in my eye...Does anybody know what this guy was talking about? Have been doing geneology for a while on my family lines and I couldnt help but wonder if this meant anything..So if anyone knows anything about this kinda thing I would love to hear about it..Thanks lots
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 14th, 2007
Experienced User
Sorry I do not know. Maybe you should check a forum based on eyes or visual problems. Maybe there are eye doctor forums on the net you might be able to post a question.

Also, if you still do not get any results, try yahoo questions.

However, you are lucky. You medical inquiry is not very serious. There are those here that have serious medical issues and no one posts to their threads at all.
|

replied January 16th, 2007
Experienced User
Sorry nobody's really responded to your question. I'm not really sure what he meant by that, but as far as I know, brown spots in the eyes are normal. I have blue eyes, but I also have some brown freckles in them. My mom has them. A good friend of mine has them. And another friend of mine has an eye that is half blue/half brown. I'm not sure what it could mean genetically. But if you think about it in an evolutionary way, we all originated from africa, so it would make sense that some traits could be crossed over "racial borders," so to speak. I don't think that he's saying that you're great grandmother was african-american, though she might have been and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. I think it was just an observation. I wouldn't get too freaked out about it.

By the way, try to have your eyes checked more often. Some eye problems tend to escalate with age, such as far-sightedness. Plus, as you get older, your risks increase for cataracts, glaucoma, and, depending on your medical history, macular degeneration. Getting routine eye exams could really make some things easier in the future!

Hope this helped! Smile
|
Tags: hear, african, vision, eyes
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....