Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > First Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Accuracy of Ultrasound During Pregnancy

Hello,

i am currently 28 weeks pregnant, with an edd of 3-30-07. I first found out when I was around 5 weeks pregnanct, according to my Dr. Via ultrasound. The first ultrasound only showed a sac w/out a heartbeat.

My question is that can an early ultrasound be off by 4 to 5 weeks in determining the age of the pregnancy.

Tx,
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Accuracy of Ultrasound During Pregnancy
anita66 wrote:
hello,

i am currently 28 weeks pregnant, with an edd of 3-30-07. I first found out when I was around 5 weeks pregnanct, according to my Dr. Via ultrasound. The first ultrasound only showed a sac w/out a heartbeat.

My question is that can an early ultrasound be off by 4 to 5 weeks in determining the age of the pregnancy.

Tx,

hello! I would say not because if you were further advanced in pregnany then there would be a visible heartbeat and the embryo would be bigger. If you were less advanced then you would basically not be pregnant at all because you were only 5 weeks at the u/s! I had an early u/s at 5 weeks and the heart was visible to be beating then and the baby was the size of a small bean.

Are you worried about your dates?
|

replied January 8th, 2007
An early ultrasound is usually right on due to the different milestones that occur each week. I would say that it is the right due date. Only when you get further along, can it vary by a few weeks. Congrats!
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...