When I was about 17 I developed a rash that started on my elbows and spread down my arms to my wrists and also on my knees and feet (mainly my toes) it was very itchy. I went to a dermatologist who didn't know what it was and gave me a steroid cream. The cream did not help. The rash eventually went away on it's own. Since then the rash has reocurred, not as severely though. Every few months I will get a few spots on my fingers or just on my knees. The rash seems to appear during or around my menstrual cycle. The rash has returned this time with a vengance, it is on both of my legs from hip to ankle and on my arms from elbow to wrist. This rash itches horribly. I've taken benadryl wich helped with the itching but the rash did not go away. I have been using over the counter anti-itch creams to get by. I don't want to spend the money for a doctor visit if they just tell me they don't know what it is. Can someone help identify this please. Your help is appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 30th, 2009
rash, menstrual cycle, period
rash, menstrual cycle, period

I am 42 years old, and I had a second period just nine days after the previous. A rash/hives broke out on the same day. I battled rashes the month before too, although I did not connect it to my period then. Last month, a dermatologist gave me steriod shots, (two shots, 5 days apart), to break the rash.
My good family doctor says that the unexpected period is probably unrelated, and being 42 year old, well, I shouldn't be alarmed by an unexpected period.

As for the rash, she gave me allegra fexofenadine 180mg (taking one in morning) and hydroxyzine HCI 25 mg (taking one at night). I took one fexofenadine and a half of a hydroxyzine tablet as soon as my prescriptions were filled, and within 2 hours the rash was on its way out.
|

replied June 26th, 2009
Hiya have u tried natural (but effective for skin) remedies like pure aloe vera? U can get soap, lotions and juice. I use it for my eczema, its great for any skin problems.
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....