Hey all, I am sure its not just me, but most everyone has vivid dreams when they are sick. I have had vivid dreams while running a fever as long as I can remember, to the point where it is more of a hallucination then a dream which in result lets me get little to no sleep when I am sick, and I am sure most people experience this as well.

Just recently I got sick and the same vivid dreams accure, and I am just wondering why exactly this is?
I can think of 100's of educated guesses why people have vivid dreams while under the weather, but I want more then an educated guess, id like to see some results of research done on it. I have been searching the web for a while now with not much results so if anyone has a link I could go to with this information, or even some input that would be grate

hope this isnt too off topic, but this was the most relivent forum/topic I could find to this matter. I did not see very many sleep forums that seemd to be helpful.

Anyways thanx in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 4th, 2007
I experience the same effects when I have fevers. I read about this and it turns out that these hallucinations are caused by extremely high fevers and that is because your brain is only functioning to get rid of your sickness.

When I get these hallucinations it's always the same one- everything seems normal and then all of the rooms behind me start to collapse in a wave like form coming after me. In some cases I start to run in fear of not getting crushed to death.

It's scary but it happens.
|

replied January 4th, 2007
My dreams are never scary but are typically very repetitive. Like for example the one I had this time was the same every night, and it was about these difrent numbered shelves, and I had to organize ... Stuff... Don't really know what it was, and the same 3 numbers kept popping up. It was more like waching a 2 minute clip of a movie over and over again. But typicaly all of my dreams that I have with a fever are repetitive like this and it ends up giving me a headache, or wakes me up annoyed that its hard for me to sleep. Nyquil helps alot though, I love that stuff =)
|

replied January 4th, 2012
Vivid Dreams While Sick With Fever
This phenomenon is extremely interesting to me. I currently have been running 101 fever for the past 3 days and have not slept one restful night! I never remember dreams, in fact I often say I don't dream but this is wrong, we are all dream in REM state, we just don't remember that we've dreamt when we wake up!

When I'm running a fever, I have one vivid dream after the next, never scary, just random and extremely vivid. Most of the dreams involve poeple from my past, often whom I haven't seen for some months or years.

I'll wake up annoyed after each dream and I'd remember where we were, what they wore, what colours the walls were or their clothes were, what they ate or drank and every line of conversation spoken... basically evey single detail!

Each feverish night brings 3 or 4 of these vivid dreams, I wake up confused, not rested, annoyed and flustered. It's incredible! But I still don't know why!!!
|

replied November 23rd, 2014
I thought I was the only one, When I dream when I am sick, Its like Time moves really fast and its really really intense. I walked into my living room 10 minutes ago frightened, I was still in a trance from my dream, hallucinating. I told my family what happened and they said it was normal so i looked it up and now I am here. My feverish dreams in the past were about how small and little we are and easily other things could crush us, Anybody else have this?
|

replied November 23rd, 2014
I thought I was the only one, When I dream when I am sick, Its like Time moves really fast and its really really intense. I walked into my living room 10 minutes ago frightened, I was still in a trance from my dream, hallucinating. I told my family what happened and they said it was normal so i looked it up and now I am here. My feverish dreams in the past were about how small and little we are and easily other things could crush us, Anybody else have this?
|

replied December 4th, 2014
Thehawk99. I have a similar dream while sick. Everything is so incredibly large, and I mean everything. Except me and other people, though its extremely rare that anyone else is in it. The only difference is that eventually everything begins attacking me and my house, and my house crumbles and parts of it even come after me. Its always almost exactly the same as the last. Just very minor differences
|

replied August 5th, 2016
No one anywhere seems to know the reason why, only that they've experienced it too.
|