I'm being induced on the 15th and i'm soooo scared and nervous! Have any of yall been induced? I'd like to know how your experience with it was.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 31st, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I was induced. Unfortunately it was not a good experience.

My induction started at 7am, they broke my water around 9am, and they kept upping the pitocin all day long. I was in excruciating pain with back labor and they finally gave me an epidural around 6pm, the epidural wore off by 7:30. My doctor checked me at 8:30 and i'd made no progress all day, I was still at 2cm. It didn't matter though, my baby was face up and too big to come down anyway. I had a c-section at 9:30pm.

Edit: I forgot to wish you luck! Try not to be nervous. You never know what can happen, just try to go with the flow. Whatever happens, in the end you'll have your beautiful baby!
|

User Profile
Supporter
My induction was planned for the 5th of .July, and I went into labor the night before.

Good luck sweetie!
|

Especially eHealthy
As with every woman's labor, you'll get varying opinions and personal veiwpoints on induction and their experience in being induced.

Why is your doctor going to induce you? Are you late?
|

Experienced User
ingi wrote:
as with every woman's labor, you'll get varying opinions and personal veiwpoints on induction and their experience in being induced.

Why is your doctor going to induce you? Are you late?

no, i'm not due until the 26th so i'll be 38 weeks and 3 days. They think the baby is going to be very big and are trying to avoid a c-section. She doesn't think the baby will be able to fit through my pelvis if she gets too much bigger. Sad
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Aw how sweet. You're going to be induced on my son's first birthday. I was meant to be induced with him cause my waters broke nearly 48 hours before but I went to the hospital at 8.30, they started setting it up and I suddenly started having contractions at 9am exactly. He was born at 11.07am.

Good luck darling. If the pain gets too bad your can always go for an epidural. I had one with my son and daughter and it was a life saver for me
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Sorry but do you have a medical condition that makes it likely that you would be unable to deliver a full term pregnancy naturally?

Why would you want to have your child early and increase it's risk of needing medical attention?

Natural hormones released by natural labour increase the ability of the pelvic ligaments to stretch and accomodate the birth of your child.

The babies skull is not fused at birth - which allows the plates that make the skull to slide over each other without doing any damage so that the baby is able to pass through the birth canal.
|

Extremely eHealthy
It does seem that doctors are all too keen to mess about with pregnant women and not just allow things to progress naturally. Ultrasounds can be inaccurate about the size/weight of a baby and inducing early just in case the baby grows too big seems daft. I'm not having a go at you, jenny, just the medical 'professionals' who seem to enjoy tinkering with nature. Rolling Eyes
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
purestgreen wrote:
i'm not having a go at you, jenny, just the medical 'professionals' who seem to enjoy tinkering with nature. Rolling Eyes

exactly!
|

Especially eHealthy
I just wanted to add that I was induced because at my non-stress test the day before his heartrate dropped down to 60 (scary!) and I was overdue. Just wanted to clarify!

Also, jenny, they told me my baby was going to be over 10 pounds and he only turned out to be 8 lbs 5 oz, so they could be off with yours. When are you actually due? Can you decline the induction?
|

Experienced User
I didn't ask my Dr. To induce me. She told me she thought it was best. Also, i've been having a lot of problems with my gallbladder and had to have an ultrasound done on it 3 weeks ago. They found 2 stones and they want to remove it after she's born. It's been really painful at times especially after I eat and I refuse to take pain medication for it even if they do give me something they think is "safe". So... It's really a combination of that and her supposedly being big. (which I know they can be wrong) I would refuse her inducing me if the baby wasn't going to be full term but like I said, i'll be 38 weeks and 3 days. It's only 1 week and 4 days before my due date.
|

User Profile
Supporter
jennyj wrote:
it's only 1 week and 4 days before my due date.

1 week and 4 days is a lot when it comes to a tiny little baby.
|

Especially eHealthy
I personally would suffer with the gall bladder problems until after the baby decided to come naturally. Being induced is not fun. I don't know if this is the case for everyone but from what I know labor usually lasts longer, contractions are stronger (hence my excruciating pain), and with pitocin the baby needs constant monitoring so you're basically bedridden.

My monitors kept losing the baby so I had to lay on my back the whole time. The only thing that relieved my back pain even a little was laying on my side with nick massaging me and I wasn't even allowed to do that. They finally had to give me internal monitors which hurt more than anything, they stuck the monitors up my vagina and attached them to the baby's head (at least that's what I think they did, I was hysterical by that point).

I would never want to be induced again.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I sure wouldn't want to suffer with gall bladder problems(attacks) if I were full term and all they wanted to do was induce me a week and a half early. If she is having attacks, they are no walk in the park and maybe the doctor sees a bigger problem.... Who knows!

I don't see the big deal.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
jennyj wrote:
i refuse to take pain medication for it even if they do give me something they think is "safe".

yet you are happy to have you baby forcibly induced because they (the same doctors who offer you safe pain meds) think you should?

I'd rather take the pain meds - paracetamol (tylenol) is safe taken sensibly during pregnancy, than increase the risk of my baby needing medical care after birth because some doctor wants good stats on the number of babies born.

You are a woman - you were designed to give birth.
|

Experienced User
michelle1981 wrote:
i sure wouldn't want to suffer with gall bladder problems(attacks) if I were full term and all they wanted to do was induce me a week and a half early. If she is having attacks, they are no walk in the park and maybe the doctor sees a bigger problem.... Who knows!

that's what i'm saying. Gall bladder attacks are not fun. It's horrible pain. Tylenol doesn't work for a gall stone. Lol...

I didn't want to start a debate about me being induced. That's what my Dr. Thinks is best and she has been to medical school unlike us. I don't like taking pain medication through my pregnancy and it's my body, my choice. I just wanted to hear what other people's experience was with being induced.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Yes, it's your body and your choice, and you wanted opinions and you got them.

I'd rather take pain meds that my doctor who has been through medical school deems safe than have my baby induced early.

All i'm hearing these days is induce induce induce - goodness women evolved to give birth - there is a reason that pregnancy is the length it is.

If there is more behind it that is not expressed in this post then fair enough.

If there is a good medical reason for induction then ok, but for me personally I see no good reason to induce a week and a bit early because of gall stones (oh yes I know how painful they can be) but waiting an extra week isn't going to make much difference to a gall bladder - it can make a big big difference to a baby.

But if you would rather think of your discomfort first - that's fine after all it's your choice.
|

User Profile
Supporter
kia_breizzze wrote:
but if you would rather think of your discomfort first - that's fine after all it's your choice.

i think you're being a little rough on her. Believe me, gb attacks can be severe.... And I know from personal experience!

jennyj wrote:
michelle1981 wrote:
i sure wouldn't want to suffer with gall bladder problems(attacks) if I were full term and all they wanted to do was induce me a week and a half early. If she is having attacks, they are no walk in the park and maybe the doctor sees a bigger problem.... Who knows!

that's what i'm saying. Gall bladder attacks are not fun. It's horrible pain. Tylenol doesn't work for a gall stone. Lol...

I didn't want to start a debate about me being induced. That's what my Dr. Thinks is best and she has been to medical school unlike us. I don't like taking pain medication through my pregnancy and it's my body, my choice. I just wanted to hear what other people's experience was with being induced.

tylenol 3's didn't work for my gall bladder attacks! I was on percocets like mad!

Don't worry what others' have to say about this issue. If you completely trust your doctor and have faith in what he/she feels is right for you and your baby, go with it. Just make sure you have all your questions and concerns addressed Wink

good luck .Jenny!
|

Experienced User
First of all I asked for people who have been induced to tell me how it was for them, not for people to give me their opinions. I realize this a forum and I don't care that you post whatever you want but I didn't ask that. Also, she wanted to induce me regardless of whether I took the pain medication or not. That isn't the issue at all. I've been having gall bladder problems for almost 3 months now. If I were thinking of my discomfort over my child, i'd be popping pills right now so that is just ridiculous. I'd like to know what you think an extra week is going to do for a full term baby other than letting her gain even more weight. The big deal with preemies is lung maturity because they haven't made surfactant yet to expand the alveoli in the lungs. A baby in the 38th week will have lung maturity. So, what's the big deal? I wouldn't allow her to induce me if I thought it could hurt my baby. My Dr. Wouldn't induce me if she thought it could harm the baby either. I don't see this as me being selfish or a bad parent.
|

User Profile
Supporter
jennyj wrote:
i don't see this as me being selfish or a bad parent.

don't worry sweetie, you aren't!
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...