Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar medications and diet

User Profile
I am bipolor type 1 and I need to find a diet that will help me lose weight and interfear with my illness or meds. I take Lamictal and Abilify. Can you give me any suggestions? My friend has told me about South Beach and how much beeter she feels. She has depression but is not bipolor. My family does not need me trying something that could cause me to go into a swing either way. I just spent a week in the hospital.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2007
Bipolar Disorder Answer A2088
There is no diet that will interfere with these 2 medications. Lamictal (lamotrigine) is an anticonvulsant mainly used to treat some types of epilepsy but it can also be used to prevent (not treat) bipolar manic episodes. Abilify (aripiprazole) is an anti-psychotic medication used for treating schizophrenia and manic episodes during bipolar disorder. Both medications seem absolutely necessary for you and you are prescribed to take them regularly.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.