Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Asperger's Syndrome & medication

User Profile
I'm asking this question for my son, who's currently in foster care and at a "youth ranch" because at 11-years-old he was not responding to direction from his parents and sexually molesting his sister, who's a year younger. He's currently 13 (will be 14 in February), and just had a home visit for four days over Christmas--his first home visit for 9 months, although we've been to visit him regularly every 2 or 3 weeks while he's away. I was very concerned to discover that he's now on 6 different medications, incuding one for schizophrenia (Abilify), although to my knowledge he's never had that diagnosis--the consensus among everyone who'd dealt with him for the past two years is that he has Asperger's Syndrome. It's a very long story, but my immediate concern is that his medications are inappropriate and possibly conflicting--he's on two different antidepressants. If I could afford the medical sevices that he needs I'd have custody restored immediately, but I'm not in a position to do that (another long story), so I'm just trying to do the best I can to make sure that "the system" isn't just subduing him with medications until he's old enough for them to cut him loose--he's a very intelligent, warm-hearted kid, and deserves every opportunity to succeed. The following is a list of his medications and dosages:
Abilify 5mg am/pm
Effexor XR 75mg am
Tenex 1mg am/lunch/dinner
Celex 40mg 1/2 am/1/2 dinner
Adderall XR 10mg am
Depakote ER 250mg 750 mg at bedtime
I guess I just really need a professional opinion as to whether it's okay for him to be on all these medications at the same time, and if it's going to be a matter of keeping him on these med's for the rest of his life, since I've read that discontinuing some of them can cause severe reactions. I really appreciate any help you can give me in this matter....
Thanks you,
Nancy Knight

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2007
Schizophrenia Answer A2085
Asperger’s syndrome is considered as a mild form of autism. Patients with autism may have various problems like hyperactivity, impulsiveness, attention problems, irritability, mood swings, outbursts, tantrums, aggression, extreme compulsions that the child finds it impossible to suppress, sleep difficulties, anxiety and seizures. All the medicines that your son takes are used for treating some of the problems mentioned above. Abilify (aripiprazole) is antipsychotic medicine used for treating schizophrenia and mania. Tenex (guanfacine) is primary antihypertensive drug but it can be also used for treating migraine headaches and drug withdrawal symptoms.
Celex (citalopram) is an antidepressant drug from the group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI), mainly used for treating depression. Celex can be also used for treating eating disorders, alcoholism, panic disorder, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and social phobia.
Adderal XR (amphetamine) is a psycho-stimulant medicament used for treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), narcolepsy (excessive sleepiness) and some cases of severe depression.
Depakote ER (divalproex or valproic acid) is mainly used for treating seizures (epilepsy) but it can be also used for treating mania and for migraine prevention. You can ask an expert opinion from a mental health doctor about the use of these medications.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.