Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Hyperemisis during pregnancy

User Profile
Hello, I am a soldier deployed in Iraq with a urgent problem with my wife. She is 18 weeks pregnant and having some serious problems that we can not get answers about. She is suffering from hyperemisis. She can not keep anything down including water and food at all. Every time she eats or drinks it comes back up within 5 minutes. She says she vomits between 5-40 times a day. She is not over exadurating with the 40x, it is really that bad. She has lost about 40-50lbs since she began her pregnancy. In the last 2 weeks alone she lost 11. She was just told that an ultrasound shows that the baby is 10% under weight. She is in the hospital right now. Every time she goes in for dehydration, they fill her full of saline and send her back home the nexy day. Once she gets back home it all just starts again. She is experiencing a great deal of pain in the back of her throat from it being burned with stomach acid. Also I think she has protein in her urine. She has been to a rhumatologist for possible lupis with no conclusion.
My wife and my baby are at great risk and no matter how many times she goes to the ob/gyn, or the hospital we dont get any real answers. She has tried everything that is normally recommended for hyperemisis with no results. They are now concidering sending her to the university of chicago hospital, but i dont know what my insurance, tricare, is going to say about that. Please, if you know anything that might help, or if you are just able to give a real no bs idea of what is happening, or pass this along to a college that could, It would make all the diffenrence to both of us. We just cant handle not knowing what to do, and me having to just sit by idly and hear how my wife and baby are deteriorating away
Thanx,
SPC. Steven Pearson
U.S. Army

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2007
Pregnancy Answer A2057
Nobody can imagine what do you really feel right now, far away from home with a pregnant and sick wife. According to your description and in light of all the inconclusive medical examinations, the only remaining diagnosis seems to be "hyperemesis gravidarium". Hyperemesis gravidarium is a condition typical for women during the first half of a pregnancy.
The cause of this condition is unknown. The intensity of vomiting is different in different women. All that the doctors can do is to prevent dehydration by supplementing water and electrolytes at this time. Metoclopramide can be also given. Proteins in the urine should be taken very seriously and you should consult a nephrologist to exclude renal failure. Stress can also have an influence on vomiting for pregnant women. All you can do is to ask your military authorities to relieve you temporarily from your duties to visit your wife. She will need your support very much in these difficult moments for her.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.