Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Circumcision? (Page 1)

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
I'm really clueless about circumcision. My boyfriend says if we have a boy he wants him circumsized. And I was like uh..I duno..Maybe..I guess. Like I have no idea how to respond to that. What's the big deal about circumcision. Like is it really modern now? What's it for??? And will it benefit the boy in anyway.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 13th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
This always get's heated. I quoted some of the health issues on it from wikipedia. Basically some studies claim medically it's benificial, and other claim the opposite. I think it's just a personal choice, for example, if religiously you feel you should do it, or if you want your son to look like his father, etc. Personally I would not do it if I was having a son.

"infant circumcision has come under increasing discussion in recent decades. The american medical association states that medical associations in the us, australia, and canada do not recommend routine “non-therapeutic” circumcision, which it defines as the non-religious, non-ritualistic, not medically necessary, elective circumcision of male newborns.[7] according to the ama's 1999 literature review, in the us when parents choose elective circumcision for their child, it is largely because of social or cultural expectations, rather than medical concerns.[7] however, a 2001 survey questionare found that 23.5% of parents listed 'health reasons'.[8] the genital integrity movement condemns all infant circumcision, religious or secular, as a form of male genital mutilation that they consider comparable to female genital mutilation.[9] some argue that there are medical benefits in the procedure (i.E. Fewer urinary tract infection in infant males, less penile cancer in adult males, and possibly less sexually transmissible infections, including hiv—human immunodeficiency virus).[7][10] circumcision may be needed to treat chronic inflammation of the penis, and penile cancer[10]. Some physicians recommend circumcision to treat phimosis, while others recommend the other effective treatments for this condition.[11][12]

the direct medical benefits of neonatal circumcision are still under debate, with various studies reaching different opinions. The studies have been conducted using cost-benefit analyses. The complication morbidity is compared to the potential gain in expected longevity, and the medical costs of circumcision are compared to the expected reduction in lifetime health costs. In the words of the bma, “there is significant disagreement about whether circumcision is overall a beneficial, neutral or harmful procedure. At present, the medical literature on the health, including sexual health, implications of circumcision is contradictory, and often subject to claims of bias in research.”[47] biases notwithstanding, some studies decided that circumcision has a net benefit,[54][55] some decided that it has a net decrement,[56] and others decided that the benefits and risks balance each other out and that other factors must be taken into consideration.[57][58]

the american medical association, american academy of pediatrics, and the royal australasian college of physicians all suggest that anasthesia be used if performing circumcision."
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I really regret having my son circumsized. After reading "how to raise a healthy child" (excellent book!!!!)....I wish I would have read that book before I had my son.

It is an extremely painful and unncessary procedure. And it also makes the penis lose senstations. It has been shown that sex is more pleasurable to uncircumsized males.
|

Experienced User
I don't have any religious beliefs/opinions whatever on it at all, I honestly didn't even think about it until my boyfriend brought it up. He's circumsized and he wants the baby(if its a boy) to be circumsized. He has no religious issues regarding it either. That's just how it was with him and that's how he wants it with his son. Personally..I really need to get educated on the subject because I know nothing. Like the only difference it makes to me is that it *looks* different. I never looked into the medical side of it. But I mean..It's not gonna be like i'm gonna be looking at my son's penis Shocked so I dunno..I just want to make sure that if and when the time comes i'm doing the right thing..Guess I have to talk to a doctor..But i'm sure a lot of doctors are biaised on that issue too..
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I've read up on it, &.Chris &.I have discussed it, &he wants his son to be circumsized like him, &.I agree with him. I think it's more of a cultural thing, now. I know in the uk it is almost never done, whereas in the states, it's strange if you aren't circumsized. It's just a personal preference, &nobody should be talked down to based on their choice on the matter. I hope this topic doesn't turn super ugly like that last topic about this!
|

Experienced User
Didn't know this topic was that ugly!!! Well I apologize in advance for bringing it up...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
No need to apologize!
There's just a lot of strong opinions on the subject.
Hopefully we can keep it clean. Wink
|

Experienced User
I have heard from several sources that it is more hygenic to have circumcision done.

Also, if you care to read all the posts on this message board alone about all the problems several uncircumcised guys have with foreskin retraction, etc, you would tend to favor circumcision.

And I think that the statement that uncircumcised guys have more fun in sex is unsubstantiated and un-researched. I would think in fact its the other way around.

Just my opinion, so please dont jump all over me.
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I think the only reason people say that uncircumsized men get more pleasure out of sex is because of the fact that they still have the foreskin on their penis, &the head &skin underneath the foreskin is a lot more sensitive since it's not exposed like in a circumsized penis.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
My son isnt circumsized, originally we wanted him circumsized when he was born but he had a fever when he was born so right before they discharged us they said they werent gonna do it because they didnt wanna risk an infection but all his tests came back saying no infection but it didnt get done and now hes 16 mths old, hubby still wants it done but I think he is too old for it now, he rips diapers off and plays with himself now lol so eh I dont think it would bea good idea .
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
spanky2005 wrote:

also, if you care to read all the posts on this message board alone about all the problems several uncircumcised guys have with foreskin retraction, etc, you would tend to favor circumcision. .

the latest scientifc research shows this is false. All of the extra "cleaning" and "foreskin adjusting" that was previously thought necesary is not. Just wash yourself normally, and you are fine. There is no greater risk of infection, etc. The usa is the only country in the world that is so adament about circumsisions, and it is purely for cosmetic reasons, people think it looks "nicer".

spanky2005 wrote:

and I think that the statement that uncircumcised guys have more fun in sex is unsubstantiated and un-researched. I would think in fact its the other way around.

im sorry you feel that way. That statement is actually intensively substantiated and researched. Like I said, read "how to raise a healthy child". That is just one source that proves this is true.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Omg I hate this subject Evil or Very Mad

im totally against circumcision. Its unnecessary and cruel. As long as a boy washes himself properly then theres no reason for him to be more likely to get any infections or whatever if uncircumcised. You wouldnt do it to a girl so you shouldnt put a baby boy through it either. Its digusting how people say they do it 'because it looks better' in their opinion. It doesnt anyway, it looks weird. Its un natural. They dont feel as much pleasure during sex as an uncircumcised guy does.

Its child abuse imo because its causing pain to a baby when there is absolutely no need to! But yeh go ahead do something which will cause your baby great pain just because its a tradition/cultural thing you 'should do'. Nevermind the suffering you put your baby through Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

im not reading this thread any further it makes me go mad ...As you guys know.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I totally disagree with circumsion. I think more or less the same as allie. It is unnecessary and cruel.

My new partner is circumsised and he said he had it done at 5 cause of a medical problem and he was in agony. Also when adults have it done they say it hurts so what makes you think it doens't hurt a little baby? Sad

anyway i'm not going to get into it. I just no that I would never circumsise my son or any future sons I may have.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
This is all going to depend on whether the guys in your family were circumsized or not.

On the whole I think you will find the uk'ers are going to be strongly against.

I've only ever been with one guy who was circumsized and it wasn't attractive.

The foreskin is there for a purpose (other wise man would have evolved without it).
All men need to pay attention to hygiene - same as women.

Steve has a "tight foreskin" - it doesn't retract fully. Yet he has no physical problems, it doesn't hinder him sexually or non-sexually.

It really is cosmetic and my personal opinion is that it really should be left until the male is old enough to decide for themselves if they want it done or not. Of course, if there is a medical reason such as the foreskin strangulates the head of the penis or something then yes, obviously medical correction is the better choice.

I mean, if you have a kids ears pierced and the kid decides they don't like it later on in life - they can remove them, but a man can't just put his foreskin back on.

The foreskin protects the head of the penis and therefore protects the sensitivity of the head, henceforth sexual pleasure is usually heightened.
The circumsized penis is often desensitized because it is in contact with underwear and such all the time.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I think it's better with an uncut man!
|

Experienced User
I don't agree with circumcision because it is torture......I sure as hell cannot cut myself on my arm without crying in pain....Imagine a baby getting skin cut off from one of the most sensitive parts of the body without any type of pain relief during or after the operation. I wouldn't subject my child to it unless its medically necessary.

My son is not circumcised and neither is my husband. My sons foreskin does not retract but the doctor say that for some it usually takes a while and right now its nothing to worry about.

My husband's on the other hand fully retracts, to the point where if you didn't know better you would think he was circumcised.

Neither of them have ever had any issues with infections or anything like that.

But before you make any decisions get as much literature as you can for and against circumcision and then make an informed decision.
|

Especially eHealthy
foxy wrote:
i don't agree with circumcision because it is torture......I sure as hell cannot cut myself on my arm without crying in pain....Imagine a baby getting skin cut off from one of the most sensitive parts of the body without any type of pain relief during or after the operation. I wouldn't subject my child to it unless its medically necessary.

i'm not getting into the circumcision debate but I did want to point out that they do use a numbing agent during the procedure. My son was done at 2 days old and he slept through the entire thing. Don't you think if it was excruciatingly painful he would have woken up? He never showed any signs of discomfort during the 4-5 days it took to completely heal either.
|

Especially eHealthy
I wouldn't get into this. But I don't want people who *have* circumcised their children to feel like they "tortured" their children.

If it's in your heritage, then go for it.

I'm totally against circumcision. I feel that, while it's not torture, it's totally uneccessary.

If you can teach a lil boy to wipe his butt, you can teach him to clean his bird. Period.

If I have a son, he will *not* be circumcised. Reguardless of the Dr.S wishes.

Just know in the end, that it's *your* child and nobody has a greater impact on him/her than you.

Is the baby's father circumcised? If so, then yes, you should circumcise him. For the simple fact of confusion. Your son will see daddy's and realize that it's not the same as his. And he might feel outcasted.

If he isn't circumcised, then I wouldn't. For the same reason.

Sarah
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I just hope we can keep this clean without resorting to the "child abuse" insults that always seem to sprout up when we get into it.

I think circumcision is fine. I've seen one performed right in front of me. It's not as dramatic as people make it out to be, and the baby was asleep almost before the dressings were applied completely. If/when we have a son, he's getting one just like his daddy.

And that's all I will say on this topic. Laughing
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Some one should have clarified. They do not always use a numbing agent/anesthesia.
|