Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Well I have panic disorder and I was wondering if there was anything I could do about it. I get panic attacks to the point where I think im going to die! Its extremly scary. I have panic attacks at least once a night. Any help plz! Confused Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper johnR
|

replied February 3rd, 2007
If you have a tendency to shallow breathe (hyperventilate) then learning some breathing excersizes maybe useful to you..... To help you, get a brown paper bag, and when you feel panicky place the bag over your nose and mouth, and inhale through your nose, and exhale through your mouth...Take even breaths, and gradually your breathing will slow and return to normal.

Apparently (i've never experienced these feelings myself, though I have had panic attacks) the feeling of doom/dying is common.... But it's not going to happen, you will not die from having an attack.

Hope this helps.

Also get to a doctor and ask to be referred to a anxiety clinic.
|

replied February 19th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Panic Disorder
Tink1o5 wrote:
Well I have panic disorder and I was wondering if there was anything I could do about it. I get panic attacks to the point where I think im going to die! Its extremly scary. I have panic attacks at least once a night. Any help plz! Confused Sad

Yes indeed lots of things you can do but I think cognitive training would probably help you overcome your panic attacks best. Try and join a group or read the book by sam obitz which is generally easy to read and identify with and teaches you the right and wrong way to use a tea form. I learned the tea form exercise in my group and it has become a staple in my life that helps me keep my anxiety at a minimum and I have not had a panic attack since the begining of my group and I was having them almost everyday when I joined my group. Once you learn to counter your thoughts in the tea form you will begin to make a lot of progress faster than you thought possible Very Happy
|

replied February 24th, 2007
Re: Panic Disorder
cece7 wrote:
Tink1o5 wrote:

Yes indeed lots of things you can do but I think cognitive training would probably help you overcome your panic attacks best. Try and join a group or read the book by sam obitz which is generally easy to read and identify with and teaches you the right and wrong way to use a tea form. I learned the tea form exercise in my group and it has become a staple in my life that helps me keep my anxiety at a minimum and I have not had a panic attack since the begining of my group and I was having them almost everyday when I joined my group. Once you learn to counter your thoughts in the tea form you will begin to make a lot of progress faster than you thought possible Very Happy
|

replied February 25th, 2007
Experienced User
Hi Patty I noticed you are from Rhode island and wanted to say hi. I went to Newport last summer and had a wonderful time there.
|

replied February 27th, 2007
cece7 wrote:
Hi Patty I noticed you are from Rhode island and wanted to say hi. I went to Newport last summer and had a wonderful time there.
HI THERE I USE TO LIVE IN BRISTOL AND WORK IN NEWPORT I LOVE THE BEACH AND CLIFF WALK SOMETHING ABOUT LISTEN TO THE WAVES. IT SO PEACEFUL . PATTY
|

replied February 27th, 2007
I HAVE PANIC ATTACKS ALL THE TIME AND IT sacry AND I DON'T WISH THEM ON ANYONE. WORRYING CAN DRIVE YOU NUTS. iT AMAZING HOW OUR MIND WORKS AND WORRYING GET OUT OF CONTROL. i USE TO ENJOY LOTS OF THINGS NOW I RESERVE MYSELF LIMITS . i AM ON MEDICATIONS BUT IT DOES NOT ALWAYS WORK. i HOPE SOMEONE INVENT SOMETHING TO GET RIDS OF PANIC ATTACKS ALL TOGETHER. I WISH EVERYONE SUFFERING TO OVERCOME these ILLNESS SOON. GOD BLESS EVERYONE WHOM SUFFERS.
|
Users who thank PATTY2369 for this post: goingcrazybecky 

replied March 20th, 2007
Experienced User
PATTY2369 wrote:
I HAVE PANIC ATTACKS ALL THE TIME AND IT sacry AND I DON'T WISH THEM ON ANYONE. WORRYING CAN DRIVE YOU NUTS. iT AMAZING HOW OUR MIND WORKS AND WORRYING GET OUT OF CONTROL. i USE TO ENJOY LOTS OF THINGS NOW I RESERVE MYSELF LIMITS . i AM ON MEDICATIONS BUT IT DOES NOT ALWAYS WORK. i HOPE SOMEONE INVENT SOMETHING TO GET RIDS OF PANIC ATTACKS ALL TOGETHER. I WISH EVERYONE SUFFERING TO OVERCOME these ILLNESS SOON. GOD BLESS EVERYONE WHOM SUFFERS.

Hi Patty, the advice about cbt is really good and I encourage you to give it a try. Join a group or read the book by sam obitz and start doing the tea form exercise everyday. I was able to eliminate my panic attacks and depression thanks to the exercises and I still do the tea form daily. They really work if you work them Very Happy
|

replied April 5th, 2007
Experienced User
PATTY2369 wrote:
cece7 wrote:
HI THERE I USE TO LIVE IN BRISTOL AND WORK IN NEWPORT I LOVE THE BEACH AND CLIFF WALK SOMETHING ABOUT LISTEN TO THE WAVES. IT SO PEACEFUL . PATTY

Those cliff walks were amazing! I am really envious Wink I hope you are feeling good today Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I feel as though I am saying the same thing over and over again, but I think it is really important. Panic disorder is a serious thing, and it can be treated. There are many ways, some of which are listed here. However, you can never go wrong with seeking the help of a licensed psychologist. Cognitive behavioral therapy is right now the most proven way to treat anxiety and panic disorders.
|

replied May 4th, 2007
Experienced User
Excellent advice Georgia, I feel the same way, but you can't say it enough in my opinion! Cbt gave me my life back.
|

replied May 20th, 2007
Experienced User
i agree georgia. i don't know where i'd be if i had not gotten my cognitive training Very Happy
|

replied June 19th, 2007
Experienced User
Hey Cece, between you me and Georgia harping about the effectiveness of cbt I think we are getting some peoples attention and hopefully helping them get better Laughing
|

replied June 25th, 2007
Lots of Things Can Help
I used to be in your same situation, having two or three panic attacks a day.

First, get some xanax or valium from your doctor. This should be used ONLY to get back on your feet! a stepping stone to help you get it under control. Do NOT take zoloft or any of those other long term meds, the attacks will come back if you stop taking it and will bring along a nasty case of vertigo.
and then do these things while weaing yourself off the xanax
1 BREATHE... lots of breathing exercises, diaphramatic breathing helped me a lot
2 exercise, it helps with the stress
3 no caffeine, drink chamomile or herbal tea instead
fresh fruits and vegetables
4 supplements help a lot, especially st. johns wort, 5htp and holy basil. also valerian root and I also take magnesium and calcium, good luck!
|
Users who thank xsayax for this post: goingcrazybecky 

replied July 13th, 2007
Experienced User
Be very careful in using xanax and valium asa they can become a crutch and possibly make your panic worse in the long run.
|

replied July 13th, 2007
Experienced User
Cognitive training is cheaper and better for you in the long run than tranquilizers
|

replied July 15th, 2007
cece7 wrote:
Cognitive training is cheaper and better for you in the long run than tranquilizers

this is true, but if you have ever experienced multiple panic attacks a day, every day, for weeks on end yo umay have different thoughts on this.

I had them so often I couldn't even sleep, I would wake up with attacks, and the lack of sleep made the anxiety worse.
If it wasn't for the xanax I'm not sure where I would be...

I strongly suggest you consult your doctor, get your life back.
|
Users who thank xsayax for this post: goingcrazybecky 

replied August 1st, 2007
Experienced User
How About a Two Pronged Approach Then?
How about a two pronged approach then? Take meds to get your panic under control but don't be complacent as you start to get them under control and learn cbt to get lasting relief and off the meds later on Smile
|

replied August 16th, 2007
Experienced User
I did have them multiple times a day at my worst point and understand what you are saying. I think the advice about a two pronged attack is good but I would still try and go with anti-depressants rather than tranquilizers but that is just my opinion.
|

replied August 24th, 2007
Experienced User
The less you use tranquilizers the better imo but sometimes they are needed for short term relief. I hope you give cbt a try along with whatever meds you take and you may eventually be able to eliminate all meds down the road then Smile
|
Quick Reply