Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Upper abdominal pain

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Hi.. this is the first time I've posted here.

For the last month or so, there has been an on-and-off again feeling in my mid-upper chest, usually on my left side. The best I can describe it is as a sort of non-painful tightness, or soreness, I guess. It is always fleeting, and very sporadic. I never know when it’s going to “act up”. It feels sort of the way a sore muscle does, and sometimes it just feels like digestion. I thought it might be heartburn, but I looked up the symptoms of heartburn on Web MD and it said that it's "a feeling of burning, warmth, heat, or pain that often starts in the upper abdomen just beneath the lower breastbone". None of those feelings are really what this is, and I often feel it higher up in my chest than the "upper abdomen".

I saw a doctor almost a month ago, right after I started feeling it, and he checked me out and said I’m totally healthy as far as my heart and lungs are concerned, but he didn’t say what this was, either.

If you have any thoughts on what this might be, if it’s anything, or what I can do about it, I’d appreciate to hear them. Thanks for your time.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
General Q and A Answer A2004
According to the symptoms you report (“non-painful tightness or soreness in mid-upper chest), your age (20), and the previous doctor’s opinion you could be experiencing a neurotic (anxiety) disorder known as somatoform disorder. During this type of neurosis, psycho-emotional difficulties transform into somatic symptoms similar to those found in some real diseases. Before establishing the diagnosis “somatoform disorder” all possible organic diseases have to first be excluded, so you can request a full range of diagnostic procedures from your primary health physician.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.