User Profile
Sorry for the lengh of this but I need to give the full context.

I seem to have a tendancy to have elevated BP but not enough for my doctor to be too concerned. She says to just keep an eye on it. I do, however, worry -a lot-! I'm also physically active and get lots of exercise, mainly hiking.

Just over a year ago I was freeked out by a little chest pain which in retrospect was probably some little spasm from dust in the air. I panicked and went to the ER and they checked me out and found nothing. But I then developed this tightness/pressure in my chest. My doc thought is was most likely stress and tension but sent me to the cardiac clinnic to be sure. I was given an exercise stress test and passed with flying colours! How long is this result valid for?

Recently I was late for a meeting and after getting off the train at the wrong stop ran/walked fast about 1 1/2 miles on a warm evening to make it. While signing in and relieved I'd made it I found my heart really pounding so hard it scared me. I was dripping sweat so I'd expect it to pound some but this was heavy. Is this normal? If anything was wrong with me would I not have been able to run th 1 1/2 miles in the first place. The result is that I'm scared to exert myself too much so that this does not happen again.

I'd apreciate you putting my mind at rest or telling me what I should look out for. Thanks

MIke

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
High Blood Pressure, Hypertension, High Cholesterol Answer A
According to your description (fine results on stress test in cardiac clinic), it seems that there is nothing physically wrong with your heart. It is normal to experience chest pain and a fast heartbeat after running 1.5 miles. You should continue to do regular check ups of your blood pressure and blood cholesterol examination to monitor these vital statistics.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.