Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Hives & chronic recedivant urticaria

User Profile
DEC 05/JAN 06 - devlope UTI symptoms - frequency- pain/burning sensation - prescribed Levaquin - solved the problem

FEB 06 - first outbreak of hives on my face, proceded with hives for the next 4 months - legs, arms, shoulders, face, also palms and under my feet (these almost look different and felt differnt as well, Much more itching and pain)

June/July 06- Hives vanished

End of July/beg August 06- worst outbreak ever - woke up and had hives all over my body, face, went to ER, given shot of benadryl I belive.

Since then, I have been getting hives mostly on my face, and sometimes my arms shoulder area. I am able to associate these outbreaks with anxiety, stress, nervousess. Usually occurs when my body temp goes up, my heart rate goes up, I begin to feel hot and flushed (almost feverish), then tingling feeling, itching and then hives.

I have taken several blood tests, everything has been normal.

Motrin, belive it or not, has been the only thing that has been able to help and control it to a certain degree. I have been on seveal antihistamines, nothing helps. (zyrtec, atarax, doxepin)

From what I have read, it seems to appear that I have chonoligenic Hives. I have also read about the inability to to sweat. I dont know what is going on with me.

Please help and give me any information. Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2006
Allergies, Asthma Answer A1946
According to the symptoms you describe and their duration, you are probably experiencing chronic-recedivant urticaria. All types of urticaria are due to the liberation of the chemical substance 'histamine' from a type of cell called a 'mastocyte' in the skin. There are 4 types of urticaria, each with different mechanisms that can lead to histamine liberation:

1. Immunological. This type of urticaria is provoked by an allergen that causes the creation of specific IgE-antibodies upon first contact with the body. However, there is no urticaria present during the first contact. This type of urticaria is acquired. During the second contact with the allergen (and every contact thereafter), the IgE-antibodies bind the allergen to the mastocytes’ surface. This binding with the mastocytes causes the liberation of histamine and the appearance of urticaria;

2. Pharmacological. In this type of urticaria there are no immunological mechanisms involved. That’s why it is called a 'pseudo-allergy', or 'idiosyncrasy'. In these cases, an urticaria can occur during first contact with an allergen. It is believed that idiosyncrasies are due to a genetic defect in the metabolism of particular substances (inborn allergy). These allergens then directly stimulate the mastocytes to liberate histamine. Some medicines like aspirin can cause this type of urticaria.

3. Physical urticaria. This type of urticaria is due to a physical factor and there are several more common types: urticaria factita (caused by friction); urticaria pressione (due to a strong, localized pressure); cholinergic urticaria (provoked by physical effort, swelling or emotional excitement); urticaria frigore/calore (occurs when the body is exposed to cold or warm), and photogenic urticaria (caused by sunlight).

4. Idiopathic urticaria. These types of urticaria have a completely unknown etiology and they occur during infections, during various thyroid and gastrointestinal disorders, and simultaneously with malignant tumors.

Diagnostic of chronic urticaria includes several standard procedures to identify the provoker:

1. Excluding physical provokers with thermal and mechanic provocative tests;

2. Exposition tests to exclude various possible allergens;

3. Examination of the feces for Candida and parasite eggs;

4. Searching for an infective focus (sinuses, tooth, stomach, intestines).

Therapy includes mainly antihistamines, while corticosteroids and adrenalin are used for urgent cases. It is most important to identify and eliminate the provoker when treating urticaria. Continue working with your doctors. Now that you are more informed, you can request the diagnostic examinations to identify the true cause of the hives.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.