Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Relief For a Constipated Baby (Page 1)

Advice for constipation in babies/toddlers please???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 8th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Get some lactulose solution from thr pharmacy - it's fab!
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Quick Help!
allie_18 wrote:
advice for constipation in babies/toddlers please???

maybe give him/her some cranberry juice or something that'll make him go. I dunno if that's good to give to a baby, but it sure makes me go. Smile
|

Especially eHealthy
Allie--

i might get jumped on for this but I dont care. (suck ballz whoever disagrees lol)

i put a stage 1 jar of pureed prunes in jacobs bottle when that happened.. Like, if it was a 6 ounce bottle, I put 4 ounces formula, then the 2 ounce jar of pureed prunes.

Cleared him right up.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeah prunes are great, as long as your child is not too young. You don't want to make the problem worse by adding in a tummy ache!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thanks for the fast replies guys...I just dunno what to do I feel like such a bad mom cos lucas keeps like I guess having a bowel movement but he wont push it out, like he starts to but it hurts so he holds it in which hurts his stomach so he cries like hes scared. The stores are still open, should I go get some prune juice or something? Oh crap I just dont wanna give him a digestive problem by giving him a laxative natural or not! Hes drinking water and juice at the moment, but ive got no like fibre cereals in at the moment...What would u guys do? He hasnt been for like 2-3 days Crying or Very sad
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I used a teaspoon of dark karo syrup in the bottle. Works great.

Dont worry about messing up his system. It wont.

If worse comes to worse you may need to try a suppository Shocked
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
It's normal for breastfed babies to poo as little as once a week.
Slighlty older babies who are starting solids usually go at least 2-3 times a week.

Lucas iscoming up 8 months isn't he?

I agree with sandra, if yu'vegot prune puree or prune juice go with it.

Sent you a pm as well.
|

Especially eHealthy
When jacob is constipated I put him on his back and hold his legs and kinda push his things into his tummy a little.. My mom says it helps and it usually does.

Either that, or give him a warm bath.. That usually helps loosen up his bowels.. If he poos in the tub oh well.. Atleast he isnt hurting anymore.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thanks! I just pressed on his tummy like an inch below his naval and to the side cos kia said I should feel a hard bit and I did, so I pressed it in for about a minute, then moved his legs in a cycling motion about 10 times, it worked to make him need to poo but he held it in again and cried longer Sad

ive got califig syrup which is for adults, has fig syrup senna in it, could I try that? Ive got no prunes...Never buy those. I put vaseline on his butt too so it would help, but hes still too afraid to push it out and in pain....Damnit Sad

ok im gonna put him in a warm bath right now.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Rooi bos tea helps constipation, and it's perfectly safe for babies. Everyone in south africa uses it. It has no caffeine. If you can find it in england, not sure if you can, get some and make it, then leave it to cool down and give it to him.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I've just been looking on another forum I look at and someone on there has suggested it (calfig syrup) to another user for constipation in babies too.

Said give a small spoon (baby spoon) once a day
|

Especially eHealthy
nataliachick7 wrote:
i used a teaspoon of dark karo syrup in the bottle. Works great.

Dont worry about messing up his system. It wont.

If worse comes to worse you may need to try a suppository Shocked

took the words right out of my mouth.....

Sarah
|

Extremely eHealthy
kia_breizzze wrote:
i've just been looking on another forum I look at and someone on there has suggested it to another user for constipation in babies too.

of califig? Thats all I got in the way of natural laxative stuff cos I used it one time myself a lil while after giving birth and omg i'd never take it again..Too strong/effective? It hurt. But do u mean that kia?

He got all stressed a few mins ago like the warm water was helping like u said sandra! And I tried to encourage him to 'push it out its ok' but he wouldnt so its still all inside Sad

i'll look up that karo syrup see if its similar to califig, im just nervous it will make him have more pain when he goes cos its like u cant control it once u have that crap and it hurts.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
allie_18 wrote:
kia_breizzze wrote:
i've just been looking on another forum I look at and someone on there has suggested it to another user for constipation in babies too.
of califig?

yup, thats what they said (it was an old post - I went searching for ya Wink )
|

Extremely eHealthy
Aw thanks well I just saw this..It doesnt say about the dose for under 1yr olds but this is a pretty desperate situation, its the only thing I can try now.

Information about califig:
reliable relief from constipation.

Califig contains senna, a highly effective yet natural laxative in a syrup of real figs.

Directions:

adults:

15-30ml (one to two tablespoonfuls)

children:

1-3 years: 2.5-5ml (half to one teaspoonful)

3-6 years: 5-10ml (one to two teaspoonfuls)

6-15 years: 7.5-15ml (one and a half to three teaspoonfuls).
|

Extremely eHealthy
Ive given him 2.5ml (small side of baby medicine spoon) of califig syrup. Hope it works before I put him to bed in like an hour, and I really really hope it doesnt make him get painful bowel spasms..Or whatever its called. Thanks for the help everyone. Why did I ever want a kid?! Lol geezzzzzz
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Yup, that's right the small baby spoon once a day to help him.

Whatever happens though allie, it's going to hurt him when the poo first moves. It's going to be hard for you too, but just know that once he passes it then he'll feel a whole lot better.
|

User Profile
Supporter
rainfire1424 wrote:
when jacob is constipated I put him on his back and hold his legs and kinda push his things into his tummy a little.. My mom says it helps and it usually does.

that's what I do!
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
michelle1981 wrote:
rainfire1424 wrote:
when jacob is constipated I put him on his back and hold his legs and kinda push his things into his tummy a little.. My mom says it helps and it usually does.

that's what I do!

what "things" Question
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....