Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Oni Has... (Page 1)

R.S.V!!!!

Oh my .God. I don't think I could feel any worse!! But the dr said she'll get worse before she gets better... Crying or Very sad

i took her in and she still had a fever of 100.5 under the arm. They checked her pulse and took some blood to determine where the fever came from (and she has a history of anemia with fever).

Weelllll...The dr came in and listened to her chest and ordered an immediete .R.S.V test (swab up the nose). The test came back positive.

He has her on steroids(dexamethasone)(3x's a day for 2 days, 2x's a day for 2 days, then 1 time a day for 2 days),.Albuterol .Sulfate(3x's a day for 2 days),tylenol extra strength (4x's a day), and .Robitussin .P.E (4x's a day) Shocked

so I doubt i'll be on much, as we have to go back to the dr tomorrow morning, and maybe to .Children's hospital after that. We're hoping we don't have to admit her to the hospital, but anything to get her better.

Please keep .Oni in your prayers, as this is very very serious!!!

Sarah
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 7th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Oh sarah I hope she gets better soon I will be thinking about her
|

Especially eHealthy
Thank you. I liked to pass out when he said she was positive for .R.S.V!!

I'm still kinda in the dark about the whole cause of it...But i'm terrified to look it up in fears that it'll scare me. I hate lookin stuff up on the net, it's soo scary!

The Dr. Said thank .God I took her in...It could've gotten bad *fast*!!!

This is *great*, .Nana .Boo has to get sick *right* before .Christmas!

I'm soo sad right now, it's crazy!

I thought only effin newborns got .R.S.V!!!

Sarah
|

Especially eHealthy
Oh no! I really hope she doesn't have to stay in the hospital. Just take of her asnd yourself and try not to stress too much.

Get better soon, oni!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I'm sorry you're going through this sarah, especially right before christmas.

I'll be praying for oni.
|

Especially eHealthy
Thanks yall....I pulled up a little bit of information about .R.S.V, so yall can prevent it...

What is the respiratory syncytial virus (rsv)?

The respiratory syncytial virus (rsv) is a virus that causes mild respiratory infections such as colds and coughs in adults but in young children can produce severe pulmonary diseases including bronchiolitis and pneumonia.

Rsv is an rna virus. It is unstable in the environment and survives only a few hours on environmental surfaces. The virus is readily inactivated with soap and water and disinfectants.

When does rsv infection occur and who gets it?

Infection with rsv is seasonal. In temperate climates, rsv infections usually occur during the late fall, winter, or early spring months. There are annual community outbreaks of rsv infection that often last 4 to 6 months.

More than half of all infants are exposed to rsv by their first birthday. Many have few or no symptoms. However, some infants with rsv become very ill. Rsv is the most common cause of bronchiolitis and pneumonia among infants and children under the age of one.

After childhood, rsv causes repeated infections throughout life. These infections are usually associated with cold-like symptoms. However, severe lower respiratory tract disease may occur at any age, especially among the elderly or among those with compromised cardiac, pulmonary, or immune systems.

Is rsv contagious and how is it spread?

Rsv disease is very highly contagious. It is spread from respiratory secretions through close contact with infected persons or contact with contaminated surfaces or objects. Infection can occur when infectious material contacts mucous membranes of the eyes, mouth, or nose, and possibly through the inhalation of droplets generated by a sneeze or cough.

What are the symptoms of rsv infection?

Characteristically, the symptoms in infants are fever, prominent runny nose, and congestion, coupled with wheezing. The duration of these symptoms is 1 to 2 weeks. During their first rsv infection, between 25% and 40% of infants and young children also have signs and symptoms of bronchiolitis or pneumonia. The majority of children hospitalized for rsv infection are under 6 months of age.

After childhood, rsv causes repeated infections with moderate-to-severe cold-like symptoms although severe lower respiratory tract disease may occur with rsv at any age.

How is rsv infection diagnosed?

The diagnosis of rsv infection can be made by a number of different laboratory tests including isolation of the virus, detection of viral antigens, detection of viral rna, demonstration of a rise in serum antibodies, or a combination of these approaches. Most clinical laboratories today use blood tests based on antigen detection to diagnose rsv infection.

How is an rsv infection treated?

For children with mild rsv disease, no specific treatment is necessary other than the treatment of symptoms (such as acetaminophen to reduce fever).

Children with severe disease may require oxygen therapy and sometimes mechanical ventilation. Ribavirin aerosol may be used in the treatment of some patients with severe disease. Some investigators have used a combination of immune globulin intravenous (igiv) with high titers of neutralizing rsv antibody (rsv-igiv) and ribavirin to treat patients with compromised immune systems.

How can rsv infection be prevented?

Frequent handwashing and not sharing items such as cups, glasses, and utensils with persons who have rsv illness should decrease the spread of virus to others.

Excluding children with colds or other respiratory illnesses (without fever) who are well enough to attend child care or school settings will probably not decrease the transmission of rsv, since it is often spread in the early stages of illness.

In a hospital setting, rsv transmission can and should be prevented by strict attention to contact precautions, such as handwashing and wearing gowns and gloves.

Is there an rsv vaccine?

There is no rsv vaccine yet, although development of one is a high research priority.

Effective immunity against rsv requires a continuous solid level of antibodies against the virus. There is particular concern for rsv in premature babies because of their lack of maturity and lack of protective antibodies. And there is similar concern about rsv in people of all ages with immunodeficiency.

Please read this and take it seriously, .Nana .Boo is very sick and it was all preventable....In a way. I can't sterilize *everything* I touch every second of the day!!

Thanks again yall!

Sarah
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I am sooo sorry that .Oni is so sick! My thoughts and prayers are with .Oni! I know that it is hard for you and you are in my thoughts and prayers too! It is not your fault so please, stop putting all of the blame on yourself! We are here for you and we understand if you cannot be on much.
Big hugs to you and .Oni!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Rsv isnt that serious as long as you dont have a preemie and as long as you dont smoke around the baby.
Trace just got over rsv, he caught it at the doctors office. Good luck!
|

Especially eHealthy
nataliachick7 wrote:
rsv isnt that serious as long as you dont have a preemie and as long as you dont smoke around the baby.

Trace just got over rsv, he caught it at the doctors office. Good luck!

i'm glad to hear that. Did they put .Trace on any steroids??

Oni also has the lower respitory disease.

I think she caught it there too. She has been congested for a lil while, but just started going down hill after her drs visit the other day!

Smoking is a definate no go!

Sarah
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I was so pissed cause he went in to get shots and the next day he woke up with a raging fever, runny nose, coughing, sneezing, screaming, etc. As the weeks progressed it turned into a wet cough with lots of congestion. He was sick for 3 whole weeks, and it sucked big time. Our doc just said to bring him in the bathroom a lot and run the hot shower for the congestion, and I gave him benadryl for the runny nose. At night I used motrin or tylenol.
His ped said that many babies get better without the meds.
Hope .Oni feels better soon.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I forgot to mention that rsv can live on like any surface. So yeah...Ive been like disinfecting everything crazy style!
I hate docs offices! Twisted Evil they are filled with nasty germs!
|

Especially eHealthy
Yea, .Nana has been sick for the past month too. And her temp sky rocketed last night. And she just wasn't acting right all day today!

I just took her temp (after giving her tylenol at 6.30) and she has a fever off 100.3 (under her arm)....Should I take her to the hospital?

I"m gonna wait another hour and check her temp again, and if it's any higher, there's no question....

Sarah
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Traces temp was 100.3 as well.
Our ped said to bring him to the er if it got to 101, but it never did.
|

Especially eHealthy
Thanks girl!! It's good to know that others have survived it!!

She's bad off though. I'm hoping her fever doesn't rise anymore.

God, I hope I don't get this .R.S.V crap either. It would be a vicious cycle!!

I'm about to go to .Sam's and get the *economy size* dinsinfectant.

I already have the clorox anywhere spray, and i'm a fiend!!!! Dr.S offices suck!!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Haha yeah next I want to get that new lysol spray that doesnt just disinfect germs, it kills viruses!! Yeah!
|

User Profile
Supporter
Awe that sucks.... I hope she gets better
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Oh my .God, .Sarah! Crying or Very sad

.Oni will be in my prayers tonight! Keep it together, she needs you!
|

Especially eHealthy
Thanks yall....I'm cool.....As a cucumber in the spring Wink

her fever dropped to 98.8...Which is waaay better than 100.3! Whew....We're not out of the woods yet though. She's got one more dose of her meds + robitussin + tylenol.

She sounds like a harley trying to start when she inhales. It's soooo bad souding. I just wanna cough for her!!

When we left the dr's office she fell asleep for the 1st time today (it was about 2.15pm) and she slept till about 5pm. So she got her sleep caught up. We might lay her down before her last dose of meds, and her bath!

I thank all of you for praying for us!

All I want for .Christmas is for my .Nana .Boo to get better! Crying or Very sad

sarah
|

User Profile
Supporter
Aww, poor baby .Oni!

Get better soon sweet pea!
|

Extremely eHealthy
I hope she gets better soon hon! I had that when I was a baby. They said it is common in premies (i was a month and a half early).
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....