Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Bulimia and Bi-Polar Disorder

User Profile
I am 22 years old and I've been throwing up my food since I was in the fifth grade. No one knows about this except for my best friend. I started just to throw up only when I ate too much and was really full but for the past 2 and a ahalf years its been an everyday thing from 1 to 5 times a day. I've lost about 15 lbs this yr and I'm at a slightly heavy weight my health is not bad, and it keeps me balancde and I honestly dont want to stop. It's become such a habit to me. I noticed I do it more as a control thing does that make sense. Like when I am upset and it seems like things are out of control I throw up more. Recently I have been feeling like I am having a mental breakdown. My mother is bipolar and she thinks I am too and she wants mo to go to the dr and get diagnosed so i can get on some meds. I was wondering if bulemia is something that you can develop from being bipolar? Also I was wondering if I make sure I dont get too skinny and unhealthy is it really that bad to throw up cause it is the only thing that makes me feel better when things are bad.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 12th, 2006
Eating Disorders Answer A1929
Bulimia is a disorder of the eating instinct (appetite) wherein a person eats great amounts of food (overeating) and then deliberately vomits the ingested food in order to prevent gaining weight. In time, such eating behavior can cause oral infections, caries, esophagitis, and anorexia with all the further complications that develop from it. Bulimia is common for adolescent girls with family problems, a perfectionist personality, an overemphasis on physical appearance, and/or depression.

Intentional throwing up can not be justified as a method for emotional relief when you feel emotionally bad. In time, vomiting may become typical behavior for coping with the bad consequences (mentioned above) and then the emotional problems can inflate.

Depression is one phase of bipolar disorder. The depressive phase may include appetite disorder but there are also some other symptoms present such as: trouble sleeping or excessive sleeping; fatigue and lack of energy; feelings of worthlessness, self-hate, and inappropriate guilt; extreme difficulty concentrating; agitation, restlessness, and irritability; inactivity and withdrawal from usual activities; feelings of hopelessness and helplessness, and recurring thoughts of death or suicide.

You have to ask medical help from a mental health doctor before it is too late.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Eating Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.