Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

to Push Or Not to Push? (Page 1)

I just remembered something from my labour with my son. I kept on having this overwhelming urge to push but the midwife kept telling me to breathe through it and not push yet. At the time I just did as she said but i'm wondering what the reason was for not being able to push at that time? Eventually she said it was okay to push so I did (and tore pretty badly too) but it was soooo hard not to push when she was telling me not to. It was like trying to stop a really strong sneeze or something, you know? Laughing the urge was just overwhelming!

Anyone else have this? Why would my body want me to push if my baby wasn't ready to come out? Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Maybe your cervix wasn't fully dilated?

I remember when I got the green light to push, my nurse told me we were going to have a few practice pushes. After a few of those, she told me "okay, that's enough, don't push anymore" and told another nurse "go get the doctor now." because she was threatening to be born before he even got there. Do you have a doctor do the actual delivery, or does the midwife help with that too?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I'm not sure, the only time they told me not to push when I felt like pushing was when they went to get the vaccuum...
|

Extremely eHealthy
ayamiyaki wrote:
do you have a doctor do the actual delivery, or does the midwife help with that too?

i think in the .U.K it's usually just a midwife or two, the doctor is usually only called in an emergency or for complications. At least, that was the case for me so I assume that's the general procedure. Anyone want to correct me? Confused
|

User Profile
Supporter
I never got that far, but I did get pressure!
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I do believe it is because the cervix isn't as dilated as it could be...
But part of me thinks it's just another way the medical profession try to control our labour.
You will have drugs, you won't push unless I say, you will lay flat on your back in the most un-natural of birthing positions where you are more likely to rip and have complications......
|

Extremely eHealthy
I had a foetal heart monitor strapped around my belly but in order for it to work properly I had to remain lying on back. Since that caused my contractions to be even more excruciating I kept flipping over to go on all-fours. I know I wasn't exactly being helpful but I genuinely didn't think about that at the time, I just moved myself into the position that caused the least pain. My body certainly knew what it wanted to do! Laughing
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I wonder why all fours feels so good? I was squatting before they made me get in the bed...
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Kay it's the most natural position to give birth in. The baby is now lined up properly instead of being squashed, your pelvis is opened up too.

It feels good because it is right.
|

Especially eHealthy
kia_breizzze wrote:
i do believe it is because the cervix isn't as dilated as it could be...

this is the reason. The cervix isn't opened all the way and it's extreemely painful if you're pushing head again ripened cervix..

But many women cannot resist the urge, and end up being in an extreemem amount of pain!

Sarah
|

Extremely eHealthy
babymajic0506 wrote:
kia_breizzze wrote:
i do believe it is because the cervix isn't as dilated as it could be...

this is the reason. The cervix isn't opened all the way and it's extreemely painful if you're pushing head again ripened cervix..

But many women cannot resist the urge, and end up being in an extreemem amount of pain!

Sarah

it's weird though isn't it? Why would your body make you want to push when it knows the cervix is not dilated enough? I guess the human body is just not a perfect machine! Confused
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Because pain relief drugs inhibit the bodys natural drugs and therefore inhibits the effects those natural chemicals would have on the body.

Added to that the un-natural position most western women are put in, that increases the risk of tearing and such.
If you were on all fours or squatting your baby would be pushing aginst the cervix in such a way that tearing is less likely, the whole process is more comforatable for you and baby, but it makes medical intervention more difficult and we allknow they like to interfere in our birth.

Can you imagine how different things would be if men gave birth Cool
|

Extremely eHealthy
kia_breizzze wrote:
can you imagine how different things would be if men gave birth Cool

yeah, the human race would die out Mr. Green
|

Extremely eHealthy
This Is the Song Your Title Reminded Me of
She said I don't know if i've ever been good enough
i'm a little bit rusty, and I think my head is caving in
and I don't know if i've ever been really loved
by a hand that's touched me, well I feel like something's
gonna give
and i'm a little bit angry, well

this ain't over, no not here, not while I still need you
around
you don't owe me, we might change
yeah we just might feel good

i wanna push you around, well I will, I will
i wanna push you down, well I will, I will
i wanna take you for granted, I wanna take you for granted
well I will

she said I don't know why you ever would lie to me
like i'm a little untrusting when I think that the truth is
gonna hurt ya
and I don't know why you couldn't just stay with me
you couldn't stand to be near me
when my face don't seem to want to shine
cuz it's a little bit dirty well

don't just stand there, say nice things to me
i've been cheated i've been wronged, and you
you don't know me, I can't change
i won't do anything at all

oh but don't bowl me over
just wait a minute well it kinda fell apart, things get so
crazy, crazy
don't rush this baby, don't rush this baby
|

Extremely eHealthy
Who's that by then? Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
Matchbox 20

title: push
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
sunflower_pie81 wrote:
matchbox 20

title: push

haven't heard that song in forever.I like it Wink
|

User Profile
replied December 8th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I think everyone likes matchbox 20
|

Experienced User
I have also heard that many of the tears that women experience during childbirth is because of all the pain medications, their body is not able to send out the correct signals as far as went to push and when to slow down.

And alot of the tears happen when the women cannot feel anything and the doctor/midwife is telling her to push push push and it is all rushed and the vagina is not given enough time to stretch etc.

Squatting and on all fours does seem more natural and more comfortable than laying down.....I wonder if you said specifically that you want to give birth on all fours or in the squatting position, if they would still deny you that right........After all we are paying them.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
It's gonna have to be something deadly serious to ever make me give birth on a bed on my back Arrow
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...