I am a 55 year old cauc female. No serious health problems, except overweight and under stress. I am a smoker (trying to quit). Will be losing my job soon and am smoking more than usual. After a couple of cigarettes, I get prickly feelings all over my body, especially my legs. Sometimes I get a short, sharp pain from my toes. Experienced something similar when I tried nicotene patches (too strong for me). When I stopped, the feeling went away. Could this be related to too much nicotene or could this be something else? I had a stress test about 6 months ago and everything was fine. Also had a physical 2 months before that and blood work was ok with the exception of cholesterol. I know some of you think i'm crazy, just stop smoking and see if the feeling goes away and believe me, I am trying. Any suggestions on how, I am open to all suggestions. Thanks for any help you can give.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 4th, 2004
I don't claim to be a doctor, and I have many health issues of my own, but it sounds you are allergic to something,for the prickly feeling, try to keep track what you've done, like eaten or touch after you get that feeling, feel better!
|

replied February 7th, 2004
It almost seems that you answered your own question. You said you go t this before when you were on the nicotine patches. And you are now smoking more than usual and have it again. So you are getting more nicotine in your system just like the patches did to you. I stopped smoking just over two years ago. Hardest thing I have ever did and I still get urges. Im not going to say to stop because you are under enough stress with losing your job soon. Why not just cutting down. I use to put out so many smokes and that was all I would allow myself for that day. Try it , you will find that it does help wean yourself down. Good luck.
|

replied February 16th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
If I smoke a lot I get the same feeling. I think it is because the extra carbon monoxide in your body, along with less oxygen. Plus the nicotine. Just try to cut back. The key to quiting is wanting it badly enough! I wish you the best.
|

replied March 19th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Could be a blood clotting problem, you should talk to your doctor.

Jennifer Laughing
|

replied May 23rd, 2010
i'm all prickly too
hi there , i have the pricklies all over my body and i quit smoking years ago... but you say you're 55 and we have this in common , i being 51 and menopausal.... i just read somewhere that menopause can cause the prickly sensations. good luck and best wishes for the quitting smoking too.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...