Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Omg Coughing And Peeing My Pants!!

User Profile
Hi girls

well.. This morning I started coughing really bad from a cold that I have and everytime I cough now I pee. I hate it. I am only 8 weeks pregnant and didnt think that I would be peeing my pants just yet lol did anyone else have that problem early on? I was also sick this morning for the first time and its a good thing I was sitting on the toilet and going at it in a bucket as I would have been soaked.. I couldnt control the peeing at all. Just wondering if anyone has had anything like that in early pregnancy? If so, how did you cope with the peeing? Was there anything that helped with the peeing?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

mary
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper LucyParr1965
|

replied December 4th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Is this ur first child?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Yes it is my first child.
|

Extremely eHealthy
That seems a bit odd to be unable to control your bladder so early on. Usually it's when the baby gets big and presses on the bladder that it becomes a problem. Try doing pelvic floor exercises and hopefully things will improve.
|

Extremely eHealthy
How to do pelvic floor exercises

exercise 1

tighten the muscles around your back passage, vagina and front passage and lift up inside as if trying to stop passing wind and urine at the same time. It is very easy to bring other, irrelevant muscles into play, so try to isolate your pelvic floor as much as possible by

• not pulling in your tummy,
• not squeezing your legs together,
• not tightening your buttocks and
• not holding your breath.

In this way most of the effort should be coming from the pelvic floor.

Have a go! How many seconds can you hold the pelvic floor tight for? Try holding it as long and as hard as you can. Build up to a maximum of 10 seconds. Rest for 4 seconds and then repeat the contraction as many times as you can up to a maximum of 10 contractions.

Try doing these exercises in a slow and controlled way with a rest of 4 seconds between each muscle contraction. Practise your maximum number of held contractions (up to 10) about six times each day.

Exercise 2

it is important to be able to work these muscles quickly to help them react to sudden stresses from coughing, laughing or exercise that put pressure on the bladder. So you need to practise some quick contractions, drawing in the pelvic floor and holding for just one second before releasing the muscles. Do these in a steady manner: aim for a strong muscle tightening with each contraction up to a maximum of 10 times.

Aim to do one set of slow contractions (exercise 1) followed by one set of quick contractions (exercise 2) six times each day.

Get into the habit!

Get into the habit of doing the exercises. Link doing them to some everyday activities - for example, do them after emptying your bladder or whenever you turn on a tap. Or keep a simple exercise diary (you could have an unlabelled simple tick chart on a kitchen pin board) to help you remember. Practise the exercises when you are lying, sitting and especially standing. Get into the habit of tightening your pelvic floor prior to activities that are likely to make you leak - such as getting up from a chair, coughing, sneezing or lifting.

How long should I do them for?

Pelvic floor exercises should give optimum results with regular exercise within 3 to 6 months, but you should continue them for life to safeguard against problems recurring.

You are strongly recommended to seek help from a health professional if you see little or no change in your symptoms after trying these exercises on your own for three months.

If you find it difficult to exercise your pelvic floor . . .

. . . You could consider the following techniques. There is little or no research evidence proving their effectiveness but many women have found them useful if only as ways of helping them perform their pelvic floor exercises.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Thanks, I will try those exercises. . Tho I have been doing them regularly anyways. Will see what happens.

Mary
|

replied December 23rd, 2008
weeing when coughing
Hi I am 10 weeks pregnant with the same problems. Ive done some research and they say that it's down to being ill with a cold/cough. The problem will stop when the cough clears up untill then use sanitry towls. Good luck Jessica x
|

replied March 13th, 2009
peeing while coughing
well i dont know whats wrong with me but it's a possibility that i maybe pregnant but only a few weeks, and everytime i cough i pee my pants could i be pregnant???
|

replied March 13th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
Unlikely that this would be your first symptom. If you feel like you may be pregnant, the only way to know is to take a pregnancy test.
|

replied March 18th, 2009
is she pregnant?
i have a 13 year old niece and she has had a really bad cold and cough she still coughs but when she coughs she pees her pants and throws up blood...not sure whats wrong could she be pregnant?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Re: is she pregnant?
diddy524 wrote:
i have a 13 year old niece and she has had a really bad cold and cough she still coughs but when she coughs she pees her pants and throws up blood...not sure whats wrong could she be pregnant?
Throwing up blood is NOT a sign of pregnancy. She needs to go to the ER. Throwing up blood can be a serious symptom of many things, including a perforated stomach ulcer.
|

replied July 5th, 2013
I am 7 weeks pregnant and the other night I suddenly felt a wetness on my legs when I stood up the seat was a little wet. I was not coughing and it didn't exactly feel like I was peeing although I did have a full bladder. It worried me so I rushed to the bathroom but there was no blood and no cramping. I do keagals regularly and this is my 2nd pregnancy, but I never experienced this before. Does anyone have any possible causes of this. I know its not exactly normal this early in the pregnancy.
|
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....