Medical Questions > Relationships > Single and Struggling Forum

the Least I Can Do Is Help Others...

Hi all! First of all, don't let my name fool you, i'm really a nice guy. Smile
a few years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My doctor is also treating me for depression but he can't focus on the depression until he gets my thyroid levels up. I've tried going off the antidepressants a couple of times (i'm off them now) but I go downhill...Fast!! Depression is bad enough but when you're single and 34, it's even harder!

I haven't been in many relationships during my life. I guess I was always on the shy side and whenever I would get hurt, I would put up a wall, get hurt again and put up another wall. Pretty soon, the wall was so high that I wasn't letting anyone in and I just became content with being single.

I met someone online a couple of months ago and we dated for a bit. It felt great to have someone interested in me but I was also afraid (of getting hurt I guess) and I said I needed a bit of space. I told her I still considered her my girlfriend but I guess she backed off too much and she said she didn't want to see me anymore. We're still friends but she broke up with me at a bad time. I've been off the antidepressants for a couple of weeks and I promised myself when I was first diagnosed that I never wanted to feel this way again! I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow to start the meds again.

What's my point? I don't know, I guess I just wanted to say to everyone that being single doesn't mean you have to be unhappy. Just because you are alone, doesn't mean you have to be lonely. I've noticed a lot of young people out there who are afraid you will be single forever. You are way too young to be talking like that! You have no idea what the future will hold and no matter how sad you might be, there is always something in you that someone else will find attractive.

I know I should take my own advice but I can honestly say that I will likely be single forever. The least I can do is to try and bring some comfort and support to others out there.

If you feel like chatting or venting, please feel free to pm me. Don't waste your life feeling sorry for yourself like I have.

Take care!
Did you find this post helpful?
|