Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Usana Vitamin Supplements-opinions? Advice? (Page 1)

Rolling Eyes are usana vitamin supplements worth the hefty price or will I get the same results using regular vitamin supplements?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper NearlyNormal
|
Users who thank melvyn hunt for this post: Jennyhealth 

replied May 3rd, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Usana Vitamin Supplements-opinions? Advice?
melvyn hunt wrote:
:roll: are usana vitamin supplements worth the hefty price or will I get the same results using regular vitamin supplements?

i would not buy any vitamin that is over-priced!! Store brand multi-vitamins are just as effective as most or all of the mega-priced/mega-vitamins!

In each of the articles by consumer reports, the supplements they recommend are the store brand and actually in a couple of the reports, gnc is cited as not delivering even 25% of the product contained in the pill packaging info lable. :roll:

go to your md and ask them to recommend a multi-vitamin, unless you are a woman of child bearing age, they will probably not recommend anything more then what you already know. "one-a-day or centrum" for example.

Dont buy into the hype!
|

replied February 17th, 2012
No, all supplements are NOT created equal
No, all supplements are NOT created equal. Google for studies on this subject. Most of the readily available (i.e., hugely marketed) companies like Cenovis, Centrum, GNC perform extremely poorly in studies.

USANA, Solger, Clinicians NZ and Thorne Research are some of the better ones.
|

replied May 6th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, how true! Multi-vitamins at the store are just as good, if not sometimes better than those overpriced ones. They only tell you that they are so much better, and absorb better, etc, because they are trying to sell them to you and earn comission. My doctor says that a once daily multivitamin is fine, and that's what I use! Why would she lie? But, these people trying to sell you, yeah, they have a reason to lie!
|

replied June 23rd, 2005
*deleted by andrewhealth
|

replied June 24th, 2005
andrewhealth wrote:
i would not buy vitamins that are cheap.

By comparison, that's like expecting to get a qualified 10 year experienced staff person for minimum wage... It just doesn't happen. If more vitamin companies spent money on research and development instead of advertising, you would see higher prices because they would realize that it takes an investment to create a quality supplement.

I've done a lot of research on vitamins/nutritional supplements and how much of a difference it makes to take one that doesn't take manufacturing shortcuts.

I guess if you really want to find out, take some cheap vitamins like centrum and see if you feel any different. Then take some quality supplements from a manufacturer with a great reputation, and see if you feel better.

Best of luck,
andrew mclellan

Bayer health is a rather reputable company and so I will feel good about the vitamins I am buying until they are proven to be less then adequate. Remember I also eat food and as luck would have it, there are vitamins in that too
|

replied June 24th, 2005
*deleted by andrewhealth
|

replied September 5th, 2005
You need to look in this forum as well as in the nutrition forum and you will be filled with lots of wonderful information provided by the (accredited) university of phoenix and the human nutrition course.

Actual doctors and scientific health research institutions give real information about our human needs and how we need very little in the way of supplements and how many millions of dollars are wasted by people who get sucked into ponzi schemes to buy miracle crap when it is not needed.

I do not subscribe to some company funded research about thier product. Provide independant research and I might give it creedence otherwise I will be the thorn in the side of overpriced junk tablets in a ancy bottle
|

replied October 17th, 2005
"actual Doctors"
tamadrummer wrote:

actual doctors and scientific health research institutions give real information about our human needs and how we need very little in the way of supplements and how many millions of dollars are wasted by people who get sucked into ponzi schemes to buy miracle crap when it is not needed.

have you considered that the actual doctors are funded by the pharmaceutacal industry? I see you are on a bandwagon against the suppliment industry, but what about, for example statin drugs. Arent these proving to be not so great for you yet they are widely perscribed.

I think the foundation you are standing on may not be so solid.

It is my understanding that many actual doctors use usana products with patients with outstanding results. I'd say results are what we should be looking at.
|

replied December 28th, 2005
Just found this site, which I instantly found discredible (even for a forum website) due to all the annoying ads, pop-ups and pop-unders (for ultra-unhealthy junk like chili's restaurants and other mass-produced, ultra-calorie fat foods). Sorry for the spoiler, but I won't be coming back to this forum due to it's subpar layout (who designed the navigation, a 10-year old?).

So, for my first and last post here, usana supplements are the pinnacle of perfect pyramid marketing. Not to say they are bad products (far from it), but they are by no means the best supplement available, even though they are miles ahead of mass-produced and marketing crud like centrum and other grocery-store puke. However, see the pdf at the below link and read the comparison(s) for yourself. I love it when people quote the "comparative guide to supplements", which is about the most unscientific and biased guide ever written. Unless all variables are kept constant and comparisons are done apples-to-apples (and if not, a full explanation backed by verifiable facts), any guide like this is renedered useless in my opinion. Although, the one saving grace about this "guide" is its fabulous marketing and hype kept alive by folks who just don't know any better, and probably will never know.

Edit

and no, I am not employed, paid by, or in any way affiliated with any company that makes, designs, manufactures, markets, etc. Supplements. But, I am one who verifies every claim from multiple, verifiable, fact-based sources.

Usana products are very good products, so don't get me wrong about that. Would I use them or distributoe them under an mlm structure? Not on your life....

melvyn hunt wrote:
Rolling Eyes are usana vitamin supplements worth the hefty price or will I get the same results using regular vitamin supplements?
|

replied January 4th, 2006
Unbias Opinion
I just wanted to tell everyone from an unbias opinion that I do not sell usana or know anyone who does. However, I have taken a lot of vitams in my life-- including the very cheap ones. Usana is the best. I started taking them after doing independent research. Usana vitamins combined with 5 htp has helped me get off of anti depressants. I have seasonal depression and I have tried seperatley taking just anti - depressants, just vitamins or just 5 htp and nothing works like the combaation if usana vitamins and 5 htp. They do not compare to cheap vitamins and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
|

replied January 8th, 2006
Here it the truth. Do you own research.

The post from newshounding, that told you to get independant information, is partially correct. The only problem is the pdf document that you are pointed to is from a competing vitamin/supplement company called melaleuca. Now we balancing biases.

What do you do? Found out why your body needs a vitamin or mineral, how much it needs, the best way to get it and then look for a product that will provide this to you. This takes time and effort, but if you take other peoples advice you are receiving information based on their motivations, which often times will not be in your best interest.

One last note. I work for big pharma and the fda is one of the most biased sources of health information in the world. If you don't believe me go look up some of the long term effect of statins (cholesterol inhibitors) and ask yourself why these are still on the market and going strong.
|

replied January 11th, 2006
Regular vitamins that you buy from walgreens or cvs are just as good. I haven't found any usana vitamins in stores. I believe you have to know someone who is selling them as an independent contractor and who will most likely want to involve you in some crazy pyramid scheme. This is just my assumption. I bought vitamin d from target a few months back and I can totally tell the difference.
|

replied March 13th, 2006
Hi everyone,
i'm new to this forum.

I see alot of people talking about usana so i'm sure they must have developed their reputation for a good reason...

I guess the best thing to do is to sample the product and let your own body tell you whether they work or not.

If you feel that they are not worth the price you pay, then you don't need to continue buying them.

What other companies sell high quality vitamin supplements?

J
|

replied April 28th, 2006
Whole Food Nutritional Supplement
My chiropractor introduced me to juice plus which is a whole food nutritional supplement. With juice plus you get all of the nutrients from the 17 ingredients it is made from as if you ate it in full, raw form. Juice plus is also backed by medical research (which many supplements have no research and we have to rely on the mfg information only). Juice plus has 14 studies published that are independent, double blind, placebo, peer reviewed. There are 12 more studies currently underway. Over the counter vitamins are fragmented and only contain the nutrition that is on the back of the label and the absorption rate is only about 20% because it is not a natural form and your body doesn't know how to process it. With juice plus it is food (even their label has a food label on it) that you are getting and not any fillers, or un-natural additives. Here is my distributors information if you would like more information on the product or to review the research behind the product. Best of health to you!!
|

replied May 7th, 2006
><
The problem with many of the cheaper multivitamins is that many of them use less potent forms of nutrients, many ingredients are less than the rda/oda, and many of them are not properly made to break down well in the stomache.

So far one of the best vitamins I have come across is alive whole food energizer.

Btw gnc does have some of the best pill multi's on the market and they are heavily tested for potency, and breakdown.

Although if you are serious about vitamins you should be taking them in a liquid form, on a near empty stomach, with water. If you take them with anything else or with a significant amount of food then your vitamin uptake is reduced. Ideally taking them before bed with plenty of water insures proper absorption.
|

replied May 10th, 2006
><
It definately seems to me that usana is overpriced.

Compare these 2 companies
edit

sure usana vitamins are good, but there are companies that offer even more comprehensive solutions at a better price.
|

replied May 15th, 2006
Duplicate
|

replied July 28th, 2006
For those of you who think all vitamins are the same you are wrong. You get what you pay for. I take usana vitamins and feel 20 years younger something I did not get from the store bought vitamins. Usana vitamins are made from pharmaceutical grade products the cheaper ones are food grade big differance. There is a book comparative guide to nutritional supplements by lyle macwilliams read it and see the differance between quality and cheap
|

replied September 12th, 2006
Usana Vitamins
Holy cow. I just found this site not that long ago and I can't believe all the back and forth banter about usana products.

Try this. Take your centrum (or whatever it is you're taking) and place it in a glass of water. Take the usana essentials and do the same thing. What do you see? Likely within 20 minutes the usana essentials has broken down. The other is likely still sitting there. Where do you think that vitamin you just spent $6 a bottle on went? Likely down the drain - and it likely does each time you take it....Meaning it doesn't do you any good!

Who cares if a product comes from an mlm company. Who cares if it costs $2 a day to take it. If it's doing your body good and it makes you feel great/better then take it. For the price of a visit to tim hortons you've just done your body good....And we all see the line ups daily at tim hortons.

By the way....Did you know at&t uses mlm? Did you know you can't buy a dell computer in a store either??

I don't understand why people are so against mlm and a wonderful product. I take it every day and haven't had a visit to the hospital/doctor in 8 years. I was there twice a year with heart trouble before that. I think i'll keep paying my $2 a day.

My brother in law is a distributor and I don't understand how he does it. So many people just don't have an open mind.
|

replied November 15th, 2006
Re: Usana Vitamins
Hey guys,
so you guys think supplements out in the market are jsut as good as usana? I did a research to find out if any of those products (centrum, gmc, one-a-day etc) are pda approved. None of them are and i'll be hoenst usana is now fda approved either. The fda does not regulate supplements. However doing more research I found out that usana is in the pdr ( physician's desk reference). For those who don;t know what this is, it;s bascially a book of medicine, doctors swear by this book, it;s like the holy bible of the medical world. Look at the medicine your doctor assigned to you, it's in this book. Being in the pdr is much better than being fda approved because the pdr has a higher standard and usana is the only supplement to be in the book. Still unconvinced that usana is better? Look in the comparative guide to nutritional supplements by Dr. Lyle macwilliam. They did a project for the governemt to reserach about supplements. Scoring every supplement out there from 0 being the worst to 100 being the best. Brand names like centrumun score a 1.9, one-a-day scored 5.2, gmc did better they scored a 22.3, kirkland(yes the costco brand) scored a 15.3, usana how did they do? Then scored a 96.1 and remember this was a project done by doctors for the government so they can;t lie. Also I agree with tsr if you look on the label of bottle like centrumun and gmc etc, the dissovle time is 1hr-5hr. I am majoring in the medical field and I know that supplements don;t start to dissovle until they reach the small intestine which is where everything is absorb for the body. They stay in there for 30 min and then leave to the large intestine to go out as watse. If centrumun, gmc, kirkland, etc dissovles in 1hr-5hr then your body bascially asorbed nothing. Usana dissovles in 22min. Don;t believe me? Do what tsr said take to different bowls with water in them and drop a store brand and a usana in each. Look at it 30 min later, which one is dissovled?
Now for the people who said it's too expensive......Look at what you buy everyday, fast food being number one, everyone eats fast food don;t deny it, you spend how much on fast food a day? 10 bucks? 15 bucks? And it;s unhealthy for you. Wouldn't you rather save 4 bcks a day to buy something that actually works and healthy for you? Think about it you don;t wanna buy usana cause it;s too expensive cause you wanna buy other things like say a nice home or a new car. Tell me this, if you got seriously sick from not taking care of your health and is always constantly in and out of the hospital, is that nice home gonna matter? You get a stroke and get paralyzed from the waist down, is that nice car gonna matter? People live in a reactive world, they wait from something to happen then they worry about it. Why not worry about it now before it happens? Why not try to prevent it? You say o when it happens i'll buy a cure....Is there a cure for cancer? A cure for a heart attack? Why not buy the best to help prevent? If I were you I would buy the best health product out there to live loonger and better cause without health, everything else doesn't matter. Take care of your body now as I once heard someone say "i rather be preapared for a situatuion that doesn't happen, rather than be unprepared for a situation that does happen.
|
Quick Reply