Medical Questions > Relationships > Family Relationships Forum

Female Advice: Mother-and-daughter Relationship Questions

How close is your relationship to your mother & vice versa? Do you two ever disagree or fight? Have you ever stopped associating with one another because it's so stressful & hostile?

If you have another sister in the picture, how is their relationship compared to your own? Are they closer? Do they get along better? Do you ever get jealous of the relationship they share?

I'm trying to understand mother-and-daughter relationships, esp. When another daughter is involved, because i'm so confused by my own situation.

Any advice or knowledge; any answer or another question to ask myself would be of help. I'd love to hear other stories! So please feel free to tell me everything.

My mother & I can't get along, regardless of how hard we try. I love her & I miss how we once were, but our relationship always seems to be on the rocks. We were the best of friends & now it feels like we're the worst of enemies. On top of it all, my younger sister [by 2-yr's] has a great relationship with our mother. They rarely ever fight & they never go without speaking to each other.

If you want to send me anything in relation to this post, PM me.

I know mother-and-daughter relationships are the most influential relationships in a girl's life, but I also understand that they are the most complex & confusing. Help me to understand. Thank you! Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 21st, 2008
Every child relates to thier parents differently
There are four of us, in our family. My brother is the only boy. Out of the four of us I have the closest relationship with my mom. Everybody always says we are more like friends or sisters, than mother and daughter. However,our relationship has not always been so close knit. My relationship with my mother has been filled with ups and downs. I may disaprove of some of the things that she says and does, but I still respect her as my mother.
One of my younger sisters, who is in college now shares a completely different relationship with my mother. I don't fault my sister for it, she feels the way that she feels. My mother has done things in her past that to my sister is unforgivable. Yes, she still stays in contact with my mother, and she loves her, but she also stays her distance. She told me once I don't want her to hurt me like she hurt you.

It's all about how you approach the relationship. If you can't grow from and monopolize on good aspects of a relationship why continue to seek it?
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Amber_Irene
First I was given away when I was only three days old to my maternal grandpa, it's only after my step grandma sold the home that my grandad bought and drove me out that I returned to my parent's place. My relationship with her is okay but it is always 'intervene' by my dad who is worried that my younger sister would feel left out and my sister who always feel threathened by me till to this day.

I don't take it on my mom because she is dependent on my dad and my sister besides I put myself in her shoe and think what would I do if I am in her shoe.

Relationship with my sister is always on the rock eversince I moved into my parent's she always feel threathened by me and now much worst because maybe to her I am more sucessfull and fortunate in life than life than her but she forgets that I don't have what she have - my parent's love. Anyway I couldn't careless about her let her think and behave anyway she wants to but now since she scolded my children (she took it on him instead of me when I wasn't around as she knows she wouldn't want to see me angry) it's WAR!
|