User Profile
I just started taking oxycontin and was looking for other people's opinions with it.

It actually works better for me than the 5mg vicodin every 6 hours that I was taking but this stuff is expensive and I don't know if I can afford it once my insurance expires at the end of the month. I take it for chronic neck pain and back pain.

My doctor briefly mentioned morphine but shyed away and discussed oxycontin instead. I can see why he didn't want to prescribe morphine because it is so strong and dangerous.

Has anyone here tried it and have they had any bad side effects? I was on ultram er and tramadol with vicodin for breakthrough pain but I was twitching uncontrollably on the ultram and my doctor took me off it and put m e on vicodin instead and now we are tring oxycontin because vicodin doesn't last the full 6 hours for me. Closer to 3hrs.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 23rd, 2006
Oxycotin
Be careful! My husband used this drug for chronic neck pain and before he knew it he was hooked on this drug and started to abuse it and then got violent. I'm not saying you will get hooked or anything. Just want you to beware.
|

User Profile
replied November 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
How would someone abuse oxycontin? I don't understand.
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2006
Experienced User
Nickvellios ~

first off to answer your last question..... Someone can abuse any medication by taking it more than the doctor prescribed. There are other ways of abusing meds as well but I think this will answer your question.

Have you looked into the generic for oxycontin? The generic is oxycodone er.

Just a note oxycontin can be just as dangerous if not more then morphine if taken the wrong way!

I am allergic to morphine so that med. Is out for me. I am currently on oxycontin once again but this time I have a higher dose. If I take any more than half of the prescribed amount I start itching and I get dizzy and feel sick to my stomach. I need to talk to my ns about this before I take the full prescribed amount.

Nick as holiday said be careful! Just know that in the case of holiday's dh abuse is always a risk when taking narcotics but it's not a common occurrence. Yes, we become dependent on these meds. But it doesn't mean we are addicted. Your doctor should be watching you closely while on oxy. Or other narcotics.

Shirl Smile
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2006
Experienced User
I am taking the oxycodone er from endo pharmaceuticals. Still is expensive. $160+ for 60 20mg pills. $7 with my copay this time but my insurance is expiring at the end of november. Sad
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2007
Experienced User
Imshirl, I see what you mean now, someone stole my pills last month...
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...