Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Newborn Girl's Vagina Care (Page 1)

My pediatrician said to put a little vaseline on her vagina so it doesn't close. Has anyone heard of this or done it? I never heard of it and i'm not sure exactly where to put the vaseline. I'm calling tomorrow, but I was just wondering in the meantime. She said that I should have been doing it since birth, but I didn't know.
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper green82tree
|

replied November 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Wow I have never heard of that... Are you serious?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Never heard of anything like that.
First of all, how would vaseline prevent anything from closing?
It sounds like you may have a really old fashioned doctor from everything ive heard...
Maybe you can look for one that is more up to date?
|

replied November 17th, 2011
When the vagina closes it is from a form of scar tissue, the Vaseline helps to keep the skin in that area soft so scar tissue will not form and close the area. I used vaseline on both my children at every diaper change , Son and Daughter never had a problem with diaper rash ever! Now I am using it on my Grand-
Child. Never a diaper rash on her so far she is 7 months now .
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Shocked .Your vagina can just up &.C.L.O.S.E!?
I don't think that sounds quite right!
|

Experienced User
Hi,

i haven't heard of applying vaseline to prevent the vagina from closing, but I was told with my son to put vaseline on him after each diaper change to prevent a rash. I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but when I had my daughter I was never told to use vaseline or anything else for that matter.

Maybe your Dr. Can elaborate as to what he/she means by "closing". I really don't see a problem with the vaseline, i'm just a little confused as to why the ped wants you to use it.

Christina
|

Extremely eHealthy
I read that up to 2 years old a girl's body don't produce enough estrogen, so it can close b/c the skin is so close together. I don't think that if you don't put vaseline it will definetly close up, but it may. She's probably just taking precaution b/c she's seen it happen before. I'll call tomorrow to get more info. Like where to put it and for how long. My mom didn't do that for me when I was a baby. I'll just call tomorrow and ask around. My sister-in-law has a girl and the same pediatrician. I'll see what she says.
|

Experienced User
Whaa?? If that is true I woner how invasive that surgery is for the baby to open it again? what..
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Vaseline
I just recently heard that you should never use vaseline on babies. The petrolium in the gelly absorbes into the baby and it takes upwards of 6 months to get out of the system and can cause illness in children. I know I certainly will not be using it on my baby.

Just be careful and really check up on what vaseline has in it and what it does.

It is never to be put anywhere that it can be absorbed internally into the body and a bay girls vagina is certainly a place it can be absorbed fast.

Mary
|

Extremely eHealthy
jessesgirl wrote:
i read that up to 2 years old a girl's body don't produce enough estrogen, so it can close b/c the skin is so close together. I don't think that if you don't put vaseline it will definetly close up, but it may. She's probably just taking precaution b/c she's seen it happen before. I'll call tomorrow to get more info. Like where to put it and for how long. My mom didn't do that for me when I was a baby. I'll just call tomorrow and ask around. My sister-in-law has a girl and the same pediatrician. I'll see what she says.

wow Shocked never heard of that either.

Vaseline isnt safe for babies? I dont believe that. People have been using it on babies butts for ages. Personally I dont find it helps in that area if they have nappy rash, zinc & castor cream works best for my son. But for chapped/peeling skin its great. Lucas even eats small amounts of it and hes fine - my midwife said that was ok too.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Shocked I never heard of the vaseline thing either (being bad for babies, I mean). Boy doesn't that just suck since it's already in other baby products like most rash creams, lotions and some moisturizing washes. I'll just say the jury's out on that one.
|

Especially eHealthy
I use vasalene....But not because it'll close. My friend asked me about that and I looked at her like she was nuts!!

Lmao!!

This isn't a boys' circumcised penis we're dealing with. It will not close up.

Use vasaline reguardless to prevent diaper rash. And if it eases your mind, put some in her pee pee, but you *must* make sure your hands are clean. As she could develope a uti. And that would suck.

I normally *never* put it in her crack, and she's fine...

Sarah
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
It's the most bizarre thing i've heard! Vagina's closing up? Lmao! Cool
|

Extremely eHealthy
Ummm ok....Never heard of this one.....But .Melia's bits are just fine, no closing of her baby girly place.....But hey, whatever works I guess.....
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Actually I do recall reading something like that in one of my 10,000 baby care books but I checked the publication date and it was early nineties so I threw it away.

*edited because I just found a definition of the condition on a medical website*

labial adhesions:
if the opening of your daughter's vagina appears to have closed, or looks partially blocked, notify your pediatrician. Ordinarily, the lips of skin (labia) surrounding the entrance to the vagina are separated. In rare cases they grow together to block the opening. This condition, called labial adhesions may cause irritation and inflammation. In the latter cases the problem is usually traceable to diaper or synthetic panty irritation. Usually labial adhesions do not cause symptoms but can lead to difficulty with urination and increase a girl's susceptibility to urinary tract infections. In very rare cases the adhesions (scar like tissue that grows between the labia and holds them together) are so thick that they need to be separated with a special instrument.

Still it says nothing about using vaseline as a preventative...
|

replied December 6th, 2011
When we went to a new pediatrician (after moving) for my daughter's one year check-up, the doctor said "Oh, she has a labial adhesion" while doing the standard quick look in the diaper. This was my second daughter, and I had never heard that term before, and not noticed ANYTHING unusual in the appearance of her vagina. The doctor showed me that if you simply gently separated the vagina lips, you could see that rather than an actual vaginal opening, she had a little crease, but it didn't actually go anywhere. She went on to explain that some babies simply don't get enough estrogen from their mothers during development for it to finish opening, or because (as explained above) they are not yet of age to begin producing estrogen, the opening will gradually just re-adhere. This can be very mild, as in the case of my daughter where it appeared normal. Or can progress to a degree that it continues to adhere further up the labia, actual closing over the opening where she urinates. Treatment can be necessary in the form of surgery if it is causing pain or infection, or not allowing normal urination. Or in milder cases can be treated with an estrogen cream applied at the site. BUT, once you stop using the cream, it can actually just close up again. I was reluctant to start exposing my infant to estrogen doses like that, and asked what would happen if we did nothing. Turns out, in her case that was fine.... we would just monitor it to make sure it didn't develop a need for treatment. In all likelihood, it would resolve itself once she was a bit older and her body began producing its own estrogen. And that is exactly what happened.... a few years later it resolved itself, and she never had any ill effects from it. My husband and I actually joked that it would be perfect if it could just last through high school!
|

Especially eHealthy
Hehehehe, and I have an old fashioned Dr. And he never once said to put vasaline to prevent it from closing up!!

I never thought i'd hear of it again after my friend read about it...But hey, if my Dr. Told me to do it, i'd probably do it.

Maybe she sees that her wittle pee pee is begninning to fuse together.

I'm sure there's a reason for it.

But just be careful. The urinary tract is nothing to mess with. That's why I steer clear of the inside of her pee pee!!

Let us know what your Dr. Says!!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I knew I read something about it but heck I thought it was just bull.
|

Especially eHealthy
Yea me too...But hey, maybe her baba's pee pee is closing and that's her Dr.S concern...Ya know??

I definately wouldn't wait to ask why!!! I'm one of those veerryy inquisitive mommys!!!! I ask question beacuse I don't want to have to guess!!!

Or do my own research. That's why they're doctors, ya know!! I drain them of alll their info!!!! The nurses too!!! Hahahahah!!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
That's what my insurance pays them the big bucks for...Geez how horrible that must be, too have your stuff grow together.... Aaarrrrggghhhh! *shudders*. Thank god it's rare! I can deal with a lot but a closed hoo-haw isn't one of them....
|

Especially eHealthy
Hahahahahhahahahaa!!!!!

Sarah
|

Especially eHealthy
allie_18 wrote:
lucas even eats small amounts of it and hes fine - my midwife said that was ok too.

lmao.. Al, thats .G.R.O.S.S!!!! Lol
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....