Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Blurred Vision, Shaking, Then a Headache After Exercise (Page 1)

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hi, I am 31, in good condition and I exercise regularily.

Every once in a while I will exercise and after I am done I will shake (mostly my hands), then about an hour or two after I will have blurred vision (i cannot read, watch tv etc...) and then I will have a severe headache for a day or two.

At first I thought that it was because I wasn't eating or drinking enough water before, but I have tried everything and I cannot figure out the pattern. The only thing that I know is that it happens when I exercise too much. The problem is that I never know when that point is.

Can someone please help?????

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper InvestorCG
|

replied December 12th, 2006
I also experience blurry vision and shaking, along with pins and needles before I get a migraine around 1 to 2hrs later. It's called a migraine with an aura, if you need a better way to describe it to a doctor. I am afraid that I can not help you with how it connects to exercise though, sorry.
|

replied January 11th, 2007
Re: Blurred Vision, Shaking, Then a Headache After Exercise
I am 37 and I too get blurry vision about 1 to 2 hours after I exercise.

I went to the doctor and he told me he thought it was either dehydration or a drop in sugar perhaps.

I too don't know the limit of when I should stop my exercise either to avoid getting the blurry vision because I do not get overly winded or short of breath. I do sweat excessively when I exercise.

I went to the cardiologist about 1 1/2 years ago and everything appeared to be fine.

I have let it slip though lately and it is happening more often. Next week I am going to an endochronologist (diabetes doctor) to see if its my sugar levels that is causing this.

I get extremely nervous after this happens and suffer from major anxiety from it. Usually I have some sugar (juice, candy, etc.) and it goes away but I don't know.

I will report back when I get results from doctor.
|

replied August 24th, 2007
Hi All,

I too get the blurry vision where I can see sort of sparkling lights , only lasts for about 10 minutes at a time after rigorous exercise. Also comes with a slight headache, shaky hands and a need to have something sweet , surely this must be blood sugar related. Did your endochronologist have any ideas ??

Only been having it for about 4 months or so and it started from nowhere it seems.

Great to hear I'm not the only one living with these symptoms any insight is appreciated.

Cheers,
Brandon
|

replied November 3rd, 2007
I have had experiences of blurry vision about an hour after playing hockey. I relate to not knowing the trigger, but not shakiness. Last night it happened and the blurry vision lasted about an hour. The blurry vision gave me a slight headache; I don't really get headaches. The blurry vision went away, but I woke up a few hours after going to sleep feeling like crap, in a cold sweat, and eventually had to vomit. I've considered it might be dehydration or low blood sugar. I might have reactive hypoglycemia. By the way, I'm vegetarian. Anyway, I'd like to hear the one person's results, and anybody else's experiences, insights, etc.

Thanks,
Kurt
|

replied July 19th, 2016
Hi. Did you ever find out the cause of your symptoms? Im a hockey player too and am suffering from some of the same symptoms you have, Thanks

Gregg
|

replied May 14th, 2009
shakey hands and headache to follow
hmmm... I am 30 years present and I too am curious as to why my hands were shaking while I was drinking from my water bottle last night - during and after my netball game. It didn't last for too long but about an hour or so later, I then experienced a headache. I haven;t come across any professional answers as yet, but it seems as if blood sugar levels could be related? I will look into this further.
|

replied June 24th, 2009
I also get blurry vision after rigorous exercise...no headaches though. When asked to describe the nature of the blurriness by my eye doctor, I had difficulties describing it. Now,, since I am experiencing it as I type this, I can say that it is in the top left corner of both eyes. There is no nausea or dizziness but it also occurs about an hour or so after intense cardiovascular exercise. This post is obviously old but if anyone has any suggestions/ideas, please reach out to me through hotmail - [email protected]
Thanks,
Brian
|

replied August 10th, 2009
Similar to balpern, I am experiencing this at the moment. I just went jogging, and the lower left side of vision from my left eye is worst, though my vision is generally blurry right now. Strange that I can't see anything very well (including this screen), but I can make out what I am writing somehow. This is not my migraine "aura," which is more of a light-headedness and contraction of my sinuses than anything. I actually exercise in order to get rid of my migraines (guessing the increase in blood flow does the job). That and jumping rope work better than anything else I have tried (Maxalt is the only medicine I have found that works; sleep over night also gets rid of it). This is the second time in the last couple months when this has happened. Otherwise I feel fine at the moment. No shaky hands, headache is gone.
|

replied October 30th, 2009
I am 30 and for the last (approx)4 years occasionally after exercise I get migraines. Not too often but around 5-6 times a year. I'd finish exercise then about 20 minutes later I'd get the 'aura' which will last for about 10 minutes. The aura finishes then the painful headaches of the migraine start - always lasting 3 hours, almost to the minute. If I know I'm going to exercise I make sure that I've had something to eat before (not too much so I get stitch) and drink an energy drink (Powerade). I also try to avoid bright lights, one of my triggers. It gets me down a little as I want to exercise more but because of the migraines I exercise a lot less than I used to. Would love to know if there's a permanent cure out there.
|

replied January 11th, 2010
I am 32 years old and I also have this problem occuring anywhere from 20 mins to a couple of hours after playing hockey or biking in the morning. I get very hot when participating in these sports and my face is quite red by the end. My optomotrist believed that the aura was caused by migraines, but I want to know how to stop the migraines. Due to the fact that this occurs exclusively in the morning, I believe that it may be caused by dehydration as I usually don't drink too much before starting. Any theories would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied January 19th, 2010
Blurriness after exersicing
wow this happened to me yesterday, i thought it was relating to my recent surgery (about 3 weeks ago) since been cleared by the doc last week i been swimming for 20 min and runing for 20 mins. but yesterday after doing that some guy wanted to play basketball 1 on 1 and we went at it for 15 minutes, after all of a sudden my right eye started blurring to the point that I couldnt see anything from it, my left eye was a little blurry but not like the right eye. I was short of breath and was shaking a little bit with a little bit of weakness. it felt really scary as I had never experienced this. Just so you know i didn't eat nothing or drink nothing before i exersiced since it was really early. My doc couldnt figure it out so he sent me to an ophtomologist to check out my eye, but my eyesight has been perfect i don't wear glasses or anything, any help would be appreciated.
|

replied January 19th, 2010
blurry vision pre-headache
I have had this same issue described off and on for about as long as I can remember. I am 29 now and it seems to be happening a little more often now that I am exercising more regularly. I have always attributed the blurriness to dehydration combined with bright light, and also having an empty stomach. I usually make sure to take some sort of pain reliever right when I get the blurriness and the headache never gets me too bad. Wearing sunglasses is a good preventative measure for me. Is there any professional insight with this post, or just a lot of people talking about it?
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
I'm 36 and I've been suffering with this for about 10 years. I don't remember suffering when I was a keen runner in my early 20s but since I started exercising hard again at 27 I started to noticing it happening. I've just been out for a 6 mile run and, having showered and sat at the PC (approx 30 mins later), it has started. It causes a blind spot exactly where I'm looking so I can't see what I'm typing but using averted vision helps. I can also see bright multi-coloured wavy lines in the top and bottom right corners of my right eye. I can now sense a headache starting (I never get headaches except hangovers!) and the blurriness is fading away (20-30 minutes). I only had a cup of tea today at 6:30am, ran at 10am for 50 minutes, and then a drink of water and a yoghurt. I would expect the symptoms to last longer without the yogurt so it's almost certainly sugar related.

I wouldn't expect a doctor to be able to do anything other than check for blood sugar related disorders. I remember as a teenager having a bad diet and getting cold sweats if I didn't get food when I needed it. I've always been very slim regardless of what I eat.

Oh and I too also sweat profusely when I exercise. In summer I can lose kilos on a run. Maybe we all need to just be a bit more careful with our fueling. After all, we are what we eat!
|

replied April 4th, 2010
I''m having just the same problems as you guys here except I''m an old codger of 53. I am on BP medication which has been lowered a few months back as I recently lost 2 stone in weight. My GP has referred me for exercise which I started a month ago. At my first session I started on the treadmill and afterwards i stepped off feeling queasy and with blurred vision. I first thought it was because I was wearing my distance glasses and the small tv screen on the front of the treadmill was too close and had resulted in eye-strain. I was trembling a little too.
I have recently been having problems with eyes and it seemed as though I coouldn''t chose between my readers and distance spex. Anywhere in between wasn''t clear enoough, such as doing computer work. I went to the optician last week and she didn''t notice a problem other than a slight change and I ended up ordering some vari-focal spex which I have yet to recieve.
Since then I went to the gym again last week and had the same blurrines and trembling. This blurriness is lasting however ,onger than most of you here and is going on for days. Five days after my gym visit I went out for the day and gradually my eyesight got worse and by the eveniing I had taken to bed early and thinking I was going to suffer a stroke or something.
I''m hoping to see the doc asap after the Easter hol and hopefully he can solve this. I was pretty scared after my recent episode but finding this thread has calmed me a little.
|

replied April 21st, 2010
Hi I have the same problem. It took me awhile to figure out what was causing it, but for me I believe it has to do with intensity. It happens after a workout where I am struggling hard for breath, so my guess is its probably a symtom of not getting enough oxygen.
|

replied April 28th, 2010
migraine after intensive sports
hi all, i am 40 and i have exactly the same symptom after a strong effort playing tennis. but the good thing is that i was able to simulate it even when i do not have the migraine. one time, like 30 minutes after playing, was feeling in good shape, and had a coffee; a few minutes after i started not to see clearly and the migraine started; after a few days, i did the same, all was ok till i drank the coffee.so what i highly suspect is that we all have a blood pressure problem, when we do a long physical effort. The coffee in fact highers the blood pressure even more. since then i lowered my coffee intakes, especially the day i am playing tennis, and since then all is fine.last i also noticed that if i drank energy drinks it has exactly the same effect than coffee....hope this helped

ronald
|

replied May 13th, 2010
I'm 37. Used to have this problem as a teenager, I'd work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, then get blurred vision for about 30 minutes. When my vision returned to normal, I'd get a headache lasting a few hours. When I exercised on a full stomach, the problem never came up.

I've been working out regularly lately, mostly cardio first thing in the morning.. But today I started lifting weights as well and it happened again (blurred vision). I quickly bought a vitamin drink and ate a banana and the headache was pretty mild, more of an irritation than a pain. Now I'll just have to make sure I eat something right after working out.
|

replied May 14th, 2010
High Blood Pressure may be the cause of this which increases immediately after exercise.You should daily drink at least 8l.water mim.and diet control with salt restriction and also reduce your weight it will helpful to decrease your blood pressure,and most important drink more water throught the day.Take care!
|

replied May 18th, 2010
Blurred Vision and Headache after sport.
Hello I have just experienced this for the first time i'm 31 I just played indoor cricket for the first time in 3 weeks after being overseas I dont think I ran that hard wasnt short of breath didnt get any shakes but I do have a headache and the blurred vision has gone it lasted about 30-45min it was freaky. I hadnt eaten any thing for about 6 hours before playing and had minimal water after reading some of the above comments I feel at ease because I thought something may be seriously wrong. I will be playing next week so I will eat something before hand and drink plenty of water lets see what happens...?
|

replied August 17th, 2010
Blurry/Spotted Vision ,Dizziness, Shaking, Short of Breath.
Hey I'm 14, and today I experienced these symptons during feild hockey along with being REALLY dizzy and I had not been able to catch my breath for the past 5-10 min before the blurred/spotted vision occured. I was so scared and after I did get really anxious... I'm really afraid! I havn't been able to keep up with everyone on the team becuase of this, and i dont want to have to quit the team. Did I metion I'm really scared!!!!! I wasn't even really working myself up or working myself too hard, and the first time it happend I hadn't ate something before practice, Tomorrow I have to run 4 miles and Im going to go to practice on a FULL stomach and with ALOT of extra water, and soem juice if and when I do get that headache. And after practice tiommorrow im going to go to the doctor to get my blood sugar checked... if you have anyawsers to what this might be PLEASE SHARE!!!!! itd be the best thing for me, im already new and being the slowest on the team isnt really helping getting people to like me.
|