Hi,

i've been getting these spasm like feelings just below my rib cage above my stomach. I've had them before but they normally only last a few minutes then their gone. However, last night I started to get them again but now they lasted all night and even during the day. The night before I had 2 glasses of red wine and some chicken wings (not very spicy).

Their not painful but they worry me that something more serious might be wrong. I went to my doctor and he prescribe rinitne (*spelling*). I notice that when they do occur, a few minutes later I have an erge to burp. But I more-or-less have to force the burp to relieve some discomfort.

Any help or similar like feelings would be so much appreciated.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper privated1
|

replied April 7th, 2009
Light Spasms Below Middle Rib Cage
It's been years since your question and I hope you have found relief. I tripped over your question trying to find answers on rib cage spasms myself.

In researching it, it does seem to often be associated with gastro intestinal reflux disorder, so I hope you've seen a GI doc.

In my case this area does not seem to fit. My spasms are not light and are sometimes so severe that the muscle under my right ribcage literally "stands up" - it is visible, like there's a snake in there. The pain is gripping and lasts for minutes, sometimes to abate and come back.

Mine started happening after a bad car accident and is made worse by twisting at the waist or doing anything that involves tummy muscles, like lifting the gargage door overhead.
|
Users who thank privated1 for this post: BYRDIE98 

replied January 15th, 2012
It has been years since your question but I did wonder if you have found any ideas on what is causing your spasms. I am having exactly the same under my top right hand of my ribcage. It is very visible and feels like I have a baby kicking in there again. I have this for three years but very bad now??
|

replied July 21st, 2009
rib spazams
hi when you find out let me know i have had the same problem for 13 years i get nerve burns at pain treatment center it helps for a while. you may want to check out pain treatment center near you there called nerve burns or you can get ficett joint injection with steroids as long as you don't have austo parossis i don't no how to spell a lott of these words but i hope i helped. doctors can't seem to tell me what wrong with my ribs. so good luck.
tim
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2009
Privated1, my symptoms are just like yours...a "vice grip" feeling and the area below the rib cage just above the stomach feels as hard as a rock. Then the muscles stands up or actually moves like a "frog" or "charley horse"...it is incredibly painful. My back will even hurt for a day or two after I've had a really bad spasm like this. I need some relief!!!
|

replied February 28th, 2010
Have any of you ever had an upper endoscopy? They can check for a hernia. I have similar issues as well as an esophagus that won't close and gerd. All from a hernia.
|

replied March 18th, 2010
I have also been experiencing the same vice grip like pain just below my upper rib cage, near the sternum but slightly to the left. This pain is intermittent and I may experience it 6 - 8 times in a year - most recently at 4:00am this morning. It ALWAYS comes between 4:00am - 7:00am, and always while I am still in bed. I think the beginning cramping is what wakes me. The pain starts out as mild cramping and within 3 - 4 minutes is incredibly painful and takes my breath away. It does feel like something internal is being held in a tightening vice grip or I might also describe it as a charlie horse. I have literally gotten out of bed and fallen to my knees in such incredible, indescribable pain. I break out into cold sweats. The pain may last for a total of 20 - 30 minutes with it peaking and then ultimately and gradually declining. I am left feeling sore. More recently, I've found that if I QUICKLY eat 2 tums at the onset, I can oftentimes stop the progression of the pain and have it go away, though on 1 occasion recently, even this did not work. I also have the feeling that my abdomen is rock-hard. Perhaps and endoscopy is of order for me, too.
|

replied January 21st, 2012
spasems in stomach (brittany d)
I have a conditon call pcos and its a disorder with my overies so the possibilitys of me being pregnat but every time i get those spasems i have to check! It really feels like something is moveing in there and i have recently noteiced so i dont think i could tell u the exsact time they seem to just come and go and the spasems come alot more often than the pain under my left rib more down towrds my hip and wen it comes its almost peircing i cant move is something really wrong should i get this checked out !!??
|

replied June 7th, 2013
GERD
I have experienced this. I recently had an Upper GI Scope which showed GERD. I take Omeprazole (Prilosec) daily for it. You can try that over the counter. I don't have the spasms any more (on treatment) but if I eat a lot of salsa or something to that effect, I will feel sore in that area.
|

replied June 7th, 2013
GERD
I have experienced this. I recently had an Upper GI Scope which showed GERD. I take Omeprazole (Prilosec) daily for it. You can try that over the counter. I don't have the spasms any more (on treatment) but if I eat a lot of salsa or something to that effect, I will feel sore in that area.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...