Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

2 months and soft stool every 10 days

User Profile
My 2 month old baby is defecating only about once every 10 days. I understand that this is not constipation as that is, by definition, caused by hard stool and my baby's stool is very soft. It get progressively more and more painful and distressing to him as the days pile up. Should I give him a suppository laxative even though his stool is soft? Is there anything else to be done? Also, I haven't been able to find any info on this condition because I don't know what it's called. Is there a term for it?

thanks,

jk

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2006
Caring for Your Newborn Answer A1859
If the baby is exclusively breastfeeding, one bowel movement every 7 days is considered normal. But one soft stool defecation every 10 days followed with pain should be examined by a pediatrician.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Newborn Babies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.