My dilema is quite the rollercoaster ride, but I believe it may help some of you out there.
After somebody very close to me was diagnosed with celiac disease (an allergy to gluten) about 4 years ago, I became very interested and concerned. As far as it was know the disease, which is hereditary, did not run in my family.
Just for the sake of this person, whom I spent a lot of time with, I decided to eat gluten free with him... Hoping I was helping him cope, and well as helping myself eat healthier.
It has been years now since we have seen eachother, and having no reason to keep eating gluten free... I stopped. It only lasted a few months in the first place. After all, i'm 21... I like beer a bit too much, I like to go out to eat with my friends, etc. Etc. Etc.
I have always had problems with my digestive system, depression, and I only grew to be five foot one, weighing only 110lbs. All of these, of course common symptoms of the disease.
Stupid me, this wasn't enough to prove I had it... After all, I never felt sick.
Until now that is.
Two months ago my aunt and brother were diagnosed with this. My aunt went to the hospital for stomach pains, and found she also had an ulcer. Everybody in my family was tested, my brother's was caught early, before he experienced any symptoms.

Just three weeks ago I became very sick, the list goes on and on:
anxiety attacks, several of them
cronic heartburn
diarhea
constepation
headaches, migranes
dizziness, fainting
very sore joints & muscles
an unbelievably painful area under my left rib cage, which seemed to spread up my back... Sometimes shooting pains.
& more.

You'll never guess what's wrong with me! I literally spent 3 weeks trying to figure it out, and this never crossed my mind. I started eating gluten free again today, and I am thrilled to say that the selection of gluten free food has gotten much much better in the past 4 years.... phew!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 21st, 2007
Hi, it's awesome that you figured it out. I was misdiagnosed with celiac disease nearly a year ago. I was on the gluten-free diet for 2-3 months before the doctors surmised something else was going on, based on my still being in pain and losing weight. I'm still being tested, but hoping it's resolved soon. Just wanted to share my little adventure with celiac disease. Take care. Smile
|

replied September 1st, 2011
i am just amazed at the symptoms that arrise is celioacs. You could never guesss.
|
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....