Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Ovulation and Irregular cycle trying to conceive

User Profile
I have an irregular cycle and would like to get pregnant. Does this make it more difficult to get pregnant? If so, do I need medicine or some sort of care? How are some ways that I can help myself get pregnant?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2006
Getting Pregnant Answer A1831
It is very important in your case to know if you are ovulating, or not. Lack of ovulation could be the reason for your irregular cycles. Without ovulation, conception becomes impossible. Ovulation can be confirmed if progesterone levels (hormones) are detected in the second half of your menstrual cycle. If the presence of ovulation is confirmed, you can try having sex during the days around the ovulation (fertile days). For women with regular cycles, ovulation is easier to predict using the calendar method (14 days before the next period is to arrive). But women with irregular cycles can’t use the calendar method to predict ovulation. These women can measure basal temperature or use ovulation predictor kits to track ovulation.
When measuring basal temperature, you should measure the body temperature every morning starting from the beginning of your last period and write/record the temperature values in a calendar. The body temperature raises a little just after ovulation at which point you can have intensive sexual intercourse.
When using an ovulation predictor kit, you attempt to detect the peak level of LH in the urine. The test is done every day, even twice a day; the purpose is to catch the peak of LH-levels by comparing a control with an indicator line. When the line becomes darker than the control, the test is positive. LH-levels peak several hours before ovulation and that’s why this method is better than measuring basal temperature.
Finally, you will need medical help if you haven’t conceived after a period of having unprotected sex longer than 1 year.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Getting Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.