Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Clinical trials for fibromyalgia and lupus

User Profile
I am actually writing for my daughter and all the above information pertains to her. She has suffered since she was 8 years old with many different kinds of pain and we have tried so many different doctors and treatments but she is still in so much pain. I know you can't diagnose thru this site but I was hoping you might could point us in a direction to try since we have tried so many things and are really desparate. She has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I really think that's what she has but she could also have some form of lupus as that is what her brother has. She has joint pain, migraines, stomach problems such as diarrhea and constipation, severe vaginal pain which was the first problem she started having at age 8 and has constant yeast infections which leads me to think it may be something with her immune system. She has had nerve blocks, exploratory surgery, seen a rheumatologist, a gynecologist, a urologist and is still in a lot of pain. I have read about a fibro clinic that sounds really good but it would cost $1200.00 and I am a single mom and have a lot of medical bills already for her and myself. Could you recommend maybe a clinical trial in our area which would be Birmingham or Memphis since we live a couple of hours from each in Tupelo, MS or maybe something else to try? Maybe you know of some type of financial aid so that I wouldn't have to wait to get some help for her. It is so hard to see her suffer each day and I want her to have a normal life and be able to get married and have children. Thank you for your help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2006
Lupus Answer A1812
To confirm systemic lupus erithematosus (SLE) at least 4 of these 11 criteria should be present:
1. Facial rash that looks like a butterfly;
2. Disc-like rush with hyperkeratosis and atrophy on the skin;
3. Photosensitivity (sensitivity to light);
4. Painless ulcerations of the oral and nasal mucosa;
5. Arthritis on 2 or more peripheral joints;
6. Pleurisy or pericarditis;
7. Renal failure;
8. Neurological manifestations;
9. Hematological disturbances;
10. Immunological reports (anti-DNA-antibodies, anti-SM-antibodies, positive lupus band test), and
11. High titer of anti nuclear antibodies (ANA)
You can consult a rheumatologist for diagnostic tests and more information about systemic lupus. To learn more about clinical trials, we Googled the keywords "clinical trial lupus fibromyalgia" and found a government center for clinical trials at: www.clinicaltrials.gov. Some trials are currently recruiting patients and can be found at: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/screen/Br owseAny?path=%2Fbrowse%2Fby-sponsor%2FNIH% 2FNIAMS&recruiting=true/
Please keep us updated on your search and tell us how helpful this information is to you by sending a personal message via ehealthforum to the username: admin.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Fibromyalgia causes pain in the body. Learn the basic facts about fibromylagia and how doctors define this syndrome here....
Are people diagnosed with fibromyalgia born with a lower tolerance for pain? Are you at more or less risk of fibromyalgia? More info and causes and risk here....
Symptoms of fibromyalgia can be mistaken for other conditions. Can you identify common signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lupus , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.