Hi,

just wondered if anyone had experience with this. I have hashimoto's and have been on generic synthroid for years (i'm 29). My husband and I are ttc and have been unsuccessful so far even with aid of bbt charting and opk. Charting and opk say I am ovulating. Also, I became pregnant in june (not trying then) but that unfortunately ended in a very early miscarriage. My tsh is 3.5 which is considered normal, though i've read (and my dr agrees) that between 1 and 2 is optimal, esp for ttc. I wonder now if my slightly elevated tsh could have caused the miscarriage, though I doubt it. Probably just bad luck. My dr increased my synthroid slightly (from 100 mcg to 112) so that my tsh would get lower, and I just started taking the new doseage the other day. I know I might be jumping the gun on this as we've only been trying for a few months, but I just wonder if anyone else has experience with being hypo and having success at ttc. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 12th, 2010
Hypothyroidism TTC
Hi
I''ve just come across your post. I know it was in 2006 but didn''t know if you''d managed to have a successful pregnancy? I am having a thyroiditis episode (producing antibodies) and I am suspecting I too have Hashimoto''s. I have been trying for over a year, my TSH levels are currently 11! I''m running out of hope that I will ever get pregnant - just wondered about your situation?
My OPK say I''m ovulating and I have a regular 28 day cycle - just no baby yet!
Thanks
|

replied May 12th, 2010
Hi Shelley--

Yes, I do now have two kids--33 mos and 14 mos. It took me about 3 mos to get pg with the first and the second was an "oops" when I went off BCP for a few months.
Your TSH is much higher than mine was and I am sure youre wondering if thats the problem--it very well could be. Is your doctor going to prescribe you Synthroid, or are you taking it at all right now? I know that you can get pregnant with hypo, however, it can be a little more difficult. After a year of trying I think I would want some answers if I were you, too! If it seems you are ovulating though, it is possible it could be an issue with your partner? I think I would want to make an appt with my OB/GYN to see what if anything is going on. I do think it could be the thyroid though as that TSH is too high! Please let me know what is happening--I hope you will have a baby soon! I know that it''s hard to wait when you just want one now!
|

replied May 13th, 2010
Thank you so much for your reply. I''m so glad that you have had 2 successful pregnancies and that it didn''t take you too long! Myself and my partner have had all the fertility tests and all ok apart from my thyroid results, so just got to get that under control. Just running out of hope that I''ll ever get a ''normal'' result. I''m having a blood test to check TSH levels every 6 weeks and I''m taking Thyroxine meds, so hoping it will eventually be under control but I''m just so impatient and jealous of everyone else getting pregnant!! Fingers crossed for a result soon! Thanks again xxx
|
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....