Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

37 Weeks And Still Working

Hello all. I am 37 and a half weeks pregnant and am still working. I am due to give birth november 28. However, so far the baby is head down and in position for delivery. My cervix is still closed and no dilating. Was wondering, until when should I work?

I was thinking of working until next week nov. 17. I have another doctors appt this friday and was wondering if I am not dilating or thinning cervix then maybe I should work until the day before thanksgiving (november 22)

any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
If you're feeling fine, you can work up until the day you deliver.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I did and I regret it because it was so hard and so tiring. Because of the working I really didn't enjoy my pregnancy very much
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I am due on november 28 as well Smile I plan on working until I feel that I can't handle it anymore (which is coming sooner rather than later) or when thanksgiving weekend comes and the office closes, I won't return until 8 weeks after my delivery.

*edited to add*
once I return, I am only going to work a few hours a week (brianne goes with me to work) and if things don't work out, then i'm not returning at all. Just do what you feel is best. If you don't want to work until the delivery, then don't! If you want to continue working then go ahead. Hey, it might make the time go faster! I am only working 25 hours a week at the office right now, and I don't do much but sit at the computer in my office so time goes by rather slowly... I don't want to return to work afterwards, but I thought i'd give it a try since I have a private office and my baby bri gets to come with me. But if things don't work out, then i'm going to quit. Like I said, every woman is different and you need to do what you feel is best for yourself Smile
|

Experienced User
I plan on working right up to my due date, if at all possible. If I find it way too hard, then i'll obviously stop. But I need the money sooo...I'm thinking once I get close to my due date, I may have to stop though, because at my job i'm on my feet the entire day.

I know what you mean about not enjoying your pregnanct bc of working so much.... I feel like i;m missing out because of work, which doesn't really make sense lol, but thats how I feel.

Once I leave work, I won't be returning until a year later... Oh the joys of maternity leave in canada. And hopefully after that year, i'll only return part time and go back to school.

Good luck with everything!! <3 sophie
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
As long as you are doing okay with it and the dr says it is okay, just try not to over do it and stress yourself out, you are probably better off than sitting at home thinking about it. Keep us posted on what is going on. You should really do what you feel more comfortable with.
Good luck!
Not much longer now!
|

Extremely eHealthy
I worked until I delivered....I had my babyshower at work on friday and delivered that monday. Of course she was born at 37 week.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Gen, I forget, was your labor natural? Or were you induced?
|

Extremely eHealthy
I went into labor, but I was scedualed for a c-section that thursday on the 20th. I went into labor after my baby shower because I wanted to put my stoller together and I had to drag it from the car and then pull it out of the box and I knew I went into labor that night but I had a friend's baby shower to go to that sunday and I really wanted to go. So I was in labor from friday night thru sunday and monday morning when I woke up I was having really bad contractions and so I took a shower (barely though the pain was so bad) then I called my doc and they told me to come in and I was 100% efaced and 5 centameters dialated. So the went ahead and sectioned me within 15 mins of showing up at the hospital and I was already beginning to rupture from my last section.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I stopped working early on I was about 33 weeks when I stopped working cause I was so big I didn't fit behind my desk anymore and my swelling was so bad I could not sit for too long. But for everyone is different. Do what you feel comfortable doing.
|

Experienced User
I am due on nov 30th and still working. I recently told them I only want to work 3 days a week and they are really good at allowing me to work whatever hours I feel comfortable working (i love them for it!!) I am still working about 25 or more hours a week (no more 40 screw that!) I went to the dr just yesterday they said they can feel her head I am one cm dilated and my cervix is @ 70%! The dr said I can keep working and to see where things are at at next weeks appointment. So I guess as long as your dr says its okay, and you feel good enough to work you should totally go for it. If you feel good up until the 17th keep working but I definitely recommend leaving with at least a few good days to keep to yourself before your baby comes. As I see it, these are the last weeks of rest and sleep for a while!

Good luck to you!
|

replied November 8th, 2006
Experienced User
I just want to say I have *sooo* much respect for working pregnant women. My pregnancy has made me so tired that I can hardly stay awake sometimes! I don't see how some of you do it. My hat goes off to you!
|

replied November 8th, 2006
Experienced User
I'm due feb. 28 and I plan to work until feb. 16th. Hope I can go that long. Go as much as your body will allow.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...