Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Poisoning and Environmental Health Forum

How to Remove Something That Pierced a Raised Vein?

I got a lot of veins raised above the skin surface right where the leg is joined to the foot (i don't know if I should call them varicose veins), ad I just happened to get pierced on one of them (is that what you call a splinter?). Problem though is I couldn't see the thing that pierced me (all I felt was a sharp pain that wasn't an insect bite or anything), so I just blindly scratched at the affected area to get whatever it is that pierced me out. I don't know if that worked or not, though, so i'm asking if what I did was right (not likely) how do you deal with those things and what are the risks if I don't get the out of my body and if they stay in (can they travel in the blood vessel and clog something or cause bleeding?)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2006
Community Volunteer
A lot would depend on what it actually was.

The main risk would be infection, from the "splinter" pushing bacteria into the skin.
Wash the area with warm soap and water, then apply a topical ointment like savlon or germolene.

If you have any irritation or infection that is sore and red or raised then make an appt to see your doctor.

If you can see the end of a "splinter" it is usually safe to just pull it out.
If it has gone inside the skin the body often just breaks it down or it may need to be removed surgically if it causes problems.
|

replied November 6th, 2006
So it's got no risk of going to the vein? I was quite worried over that one because the thing was so small I couldn't just pull it out, small enough maybe to burrow into the vein and travel around the body.
|
Quick Reply