Last edited by AlliE_18 on December 15th, 2006 01:57 PM; edited 2 times in total
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2006
Community Volunteer
The sperm usually meet the egg in the fallopian tube and then make their way to the uterus together.

They can and do get stuck, if the tubes are a bit blocked of if the mucus in them is thick or for 101 other reasons.
Sometimes the egg just implants there in the tube anyway.
All of these result in ectopic pregnancies.

However, ectopic pregnancies are not always in the tubes.
The fallopain tubes and ovaries are not connected so sometimes the sperm swim right up the tubes and meet the egg at the ovary and they can then implant on the ovary, or even they spill right out the top of the tubes and implant in the abdominal cavity or on an internal organ.

If the egg is fertilised it can be anywhere between 4 and 14 days (although 6-10 is usual) to make it to the uterus.
If the egg is not fertilised it is most often re-absorbed by the body within about 36 hours, sometimes it may get caught up in some mucus and be expelled from the body via the vagina.

The fallopian tubes are full of tiny hair-like villi which "waft" the egg along in mucus. All those vili are like tiny hairs waving like amexican wave wafting the egg along.
|

Extremely eHealthy
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Sometimes the egg does get to the uterus before it gets fertilised but not often.

It takes usually 6-10 days to move through the fallopian tubes and if it is not fertilised within about 36 hours it is no longer viable (which is why the body re-absorbs it.

Once the egg is no longer viable you can't get pregnant.
So if you know 100% when you ovulate (charting bbt, opk, cm, etc) then once a couple days have passed after ovulation you are safe from pregnancy.
It takes months of practise and studying your chart to know when you ovulate as this can vary month to month. You'd not be able to just do it for a couple months and know when you ovulate.
|

Extremely eHealthy
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Nope.

Either she ovulated late - some women occassionally do and this is why there is no such thing as a safe time, or she had sex earlier on in her cycle.

Or very rarely some women ovulate more than once.

If an egg was released on day 14 it definately wouldn't be viable by day 26.
|

Extremely eHealthy
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
It is possible - it's rare but definately possible.
|

Extremely eHealthy
|

Extremely eHealthy
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
allie_18 wrote:
ok. Shes sure it was that time she got pregnant, because it was the only time they didnt use protection. When she had sex earlier in the month, they used condoms, but not always from the start..Uf u know what I mean. So she coulda got pregnant from pre-cum those times right?

yes, very likely.
More likely than late or multiple ovulation
|

Extremely eHealthy
|

Extremely eHealthy
I ovulated the day my period was due, which was day 32 of my cycle.
I know for a fact that's when I ovulated and my ultrasounds proved it.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Yes, it can happen. It is rare but it does happen.
|

replied November 5th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Honestly it is more likely that she got pregnant from pre-cum then it is she got pregnant from ovulating late.

It does happen but it is very very uncommon whereas pregnancy from pre-cum is very very common.

The only way to know for sure would be to have the dates confirmed by an ultrasound.
|

Extremely eHealthy
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
allie_18 wrote:
kia_breizzze wrote:
honestly it is more likely that she got pregnant from pre-cum then it is she got pregnant from ovulating late.

It does happen but it is very very uncommon whereas pregnancy from pre-cum is very very common.

yeh but she always does that with guys she has a 1 night stand with and she's never got pregnant before. Until the 1 time they didnt use protection at all.

that's called "being very lucky"
|
Tags: pregnant
Quick Reply
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....