Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Tension headache, Tumor, or Meningitis?

User Profile
Hi. Last Friday I had a bit of a stomach flu throwing up and watery diarreah all day, saturday felt a little better, went out had a few drinks, kept everything down...however started having a pain in my neck to very upper back when I was gettin ready which started on saturday...i have ahd this pain before due to whiplast last february, and an incident doing headstands and kidn of tworking my neck, but along with the other symptoms i got worried. As of MOnday I still have the sore neck upper back, and my head feels heavyalmost light headed but not, feels like a tension headache at the base of my skull and like someone has their hand on my head and squeezes off and on not very painful just a weird sensation...I worry constantly and my mind has crossed everywhere from brain tumors, to meningitis...I hav never had this sensation before, and reading online scares me more...any thing you may knwo on it would be greatly appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2006
Headache, Migraines, Sinus Conditions Answer A1783
Stomach and intestinal problems probably have no connection with the pain in the neck and head. Brain tumors, meningitis and other severe diseases are out of the question.
Tension headaches are often due to the contraction of the muscles of the neck and the scalp. One cause of this muscle contraction is a response to stress, depression or anxiety. Any activity that causes the head to be held in one position for a long time without moving can cause a headache. Such activities include typing or use of computers, fine work with the hands, and use of a microscope. Sleeping in a cold room or sleeping with the neck in an abnormal position may also trigger this type of headache.
Drinking alcohol and old neck injuries may also have some negative impact.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.