Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

the Relationshship Between Pcos, Diabetes And Hyperthyroidi

If I had irregular periods throughout my teen years and then when I was 21 I was diagnosed with diabetes and a few months later with hyperthyroidism did one thing lead to the next and could anyone of them been avoided if the other was treated properly. I basically want to know if they are related and if yes with proper treatment avoid more complications Question Confused Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 10th, 2005
Pcos ....
I had irregular periods all the time growing up, and yet I never went to the doctor to check it out. Because of that I developed diabetes.

If I had been treated for pcos I could of avoided diabetes.

My friend was diagnosed with pcos and was treated she never developed diabetes.

Hope this helps
a
|

replied February 1st, 2006
Hi I am new. I was diagnosed with pcos in march of last year and then diabetes in october. I go to a pcos forum and have learned a lot about it. Pcos and insulin resistance goes hand in hand. I have also heard that hypothyroidism has to do with pcos as well. I think I have had pcos since I was young but my dr never told me and now I am paying for it. The things you do for pcos is just watching your carb intake and you can get on some meds if you want to have a baby and are having problems. I have heard there is medicine as well if you get a really long period. I have the opposite problem and don't get periods unless I take something. It is important to get one at least every three months so I take prometrium(progesterone pill). If you would like to check out the pcos forum I can give you the web address. I hope this at least gives you some info you may not have known.
|

replied February 1st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
All of these condtitions could have been avoided if the .Dr's had looked into the hormone imbalances in our bodies. Yes, they could have been avoided, but I do not know if they can be reversed by taking of the proper hormones. Weight gain is also involved and has to do with these same hormones. Sleeping too much and depression can also be linked together with these. One hormone being off, changes the other hormone balances. Etc, etc.... I have just been researching it for my daughter, because she has a bad weight problem, and hardly eats at all, been diagnosed with pcos, but started having normal periods after her baby, depression, probably hypothyroid also--has not of yet been checked, gestational diabeties with her baby, and borderline diabeties now, I am sure of it.

Edit--the .Dr's told her possibly pcos, but I do believe she has it. I dont remember if we had the hormone tests done for it or not, but I know they were ordered for her to do.
|

replied February 2nd, 2006
I know pcos is for life. There is no way to get away from it. You can just get the symptoms under control. Good luck to your daughter.
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Only diabetes mellitus can be delayed by doing regular exercise and changing life style. Others can't be prevented. These are associated diseases in Schmidt syndrome.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Srinivas Singaram
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
User Profile
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.