Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Diagnosis of lower back and hip pain

User Profile
I have had lower back pain most of my life. The last year or so, the pain has been chronic (every day) and after going to see my chiropractor, he thinks it's possible I have a disc problem in L-4. The pain is not in my legs and is most severe when I get up in the morning or have been sitting for some time. The pain lessens (but never goes away) as I go throughout the day. Often times I find relief when I sit in a leaning-forward position while laying my head on a table. Bending over hurts but moving my legs doesn't. I often feel the pain through the front pelvic area but it doesn't feel like menstrual cramps (or the pain I suffered from endrometriosis). The pain is most severe during the night. In order to turn over, I have to move myself with my arms because it hurts too much to move my hips. The pain is completely centered in the lower back and hip area. At this point in my life, I don't have insurance and need some alternatives that are affordable. I do know losing weight will help... which I'm working on. Thanks for any advice.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2006
Back Pain Answer A1769
According to the description you've given about the pain you are experiencing, your symptoms could be caused by nerve pain caused by spondylosis. Spondylosis is a chronic, degenerative disease of the joints between vertebrae. Spondylotic changes (discus hernia and osteophytes) create pressure on the roots of the spinal nerves causing pain, itching, numbness, muscle weakness, or even paralyses.
Correct diagnosis in your case can be established with an X-ray image of the lumbar-sacral part of the vertebral column. If it assumed that a disc-disorder (discopaty) is present, then an MRI of the vertebral column will be requested. Painkillers may reduce the pain temporarily, but long term treatment includes physical therapy and even surgery when necessary.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.