Hi

my girlfriend and I had our first visit to the midwife yesterday (she is now 10 weeks). However it was totally not what we expected. The midwife went through the usual - urine sample, blood sample, lengthy questionnaire etc etc. The worrying thing was that she seemed to concentrate a lot on birth defects (downs and spina bifida). My girlfriend is only 23 so she has age in her favour, and she has a good diet and has been taking pregnancy vitamins including folic acid. The midwife also said we should think about what we would do if any defects were found. I know she needs to cover every angle but I thought it was a bit over the top, particularly the way she put it across. My girlfriend has been put into the low risk category which is good, but we went home yesterday feeling a bit worried. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is it normal to feel this way?! We're now not sure whether to get tested or not.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I was offered a nuchal scan to test for abonormalities with my 2nd pregnancy- i'm only 22. I think they're just getting alot more careful these days and monitoring alot more which I think is good.
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2006
Supporter
If she's in the low risk category I wouldn't worry too much about it, just don't rule it out altogether. A nuchal fold scan is a good way of putting your mind at rest about downs syndrome and it doesn't put your baby at risk.. But some hospitals don't offer it to everyone unless there's a reason to. There's also blood tests they can do, but neither the scan or the blood test are conclusive, they just narrow down the chances of there being a problem.

It might be a good idea to think about what you'd do if there was a problem, but don't focus on it, think positively! Good luck.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...