Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Colon Cancer Symptoms and Diagnostic Protocol

User Profile
I feel pretty much constantly bloated(stomach grumbling), my bowel movements are either diarhea or smallish pieces of poop(about a third the size of what I am used to), I have had a small lump(polyp like shape)just inside my anus, and I just got a few days ago a very constant mysterious pain in the right side of my butt(feels like a constant charlie horse). I have not lost much weight at all, nor am I very tired or run down easily. What's going on? Is this colon cancer or something else perhaps???I have no health insurance and I'm 30 years old. Any advice would be really wonderful!

-T

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2006
Colon Cancer Answer A1756
Symptoms of colon cancer depend upon a tumor’s localization.
Tumors localized on the right side of the colon (colon ascendens) usually manifest symptoms after the disease has already spread throughout the body and include: weight loss, and general bad health. Tumors localized in the left side of the colon (colon descendens) manifest symptoms earlier because of the bowel obstruction they cause (ileus). Tumors in the left colon are usually accompanied with abdominal pain and constipation.
Other diseases are also responsible for the same symptoms; therefore, clinical manifestations or presence of these symptoms are not enough for establishing a correct diagnosis. Colon cancer causes bleeding, even in very small amounts (occult bleeding). A fecal occult blood test is the first step in the diagnostic protocol. Then, an endoscopic colonoscopy is the next procedure that follows to identify possible problems in the bowels. You can consult a gastroenterologist to follow up.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.