Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

"low Birth Weight" Paradox Question (Page 1)

I've done reading here and there on the subject but there is somthing i'm not sure if I understand correctly. Maybe someone could help...

It sounds like statisticlly mothers who smoke have babies with a lower survival rate. Also, babies with a low birth weight have a low survival rate.

But it sounds like, and here is where i'm not sure understand, low birth weight babies born to mothers who smoke, have a survival rate equal to that of babies born with an average weight???

Anyone know about this??

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 28th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Re: "low Birth Weight" Paradox Question
adamblacksheep wrote:
i've done reading here and there on the subject but there is somthing i'm not sure if I understand correctly. Maybe someone could help...

It sounds like statisticlly mothers who smoke have babies with a lower survival rate. Also, babies with a low birth weight have a low survival rate.

But it sounds like, and here is where i'm not sure understand, low birth weight babies born to mothers who smoke, have a survival rate equal to that of babies born with an average weight???

Anyone know about this??

Thanks

how could this forum have provided you with that information? Maybe a google search is in order?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Re: "low Birth Weight" Paradox Question
adamblacksheep wrote:
i've done reading here and there on the subject but there is somthing i'm not sure if I understand correctly. Maybe someone could help...

Anyone know about this??

Thanks

where are you getting your info from.

Bottom line is, dont smoke if youre pregnant, unless you are that stupid and want to take a chance.
|

I didn't get the info on this website, there are websites dedicated to the subject, it's in wikipedia, it's all over.

I know smoking while pregnant is risky, that was not my question.

There is a physiological/statistical phenomenon called "lbw paradox", try it on google search. I'd post a link but I dont know how.

I've read about it on a few websites, but I don't understand if what is being said is that lbw babies born to moms who smoke have the same survival rate, or just slightly lower.

It is called a paradox for a reason and the reason is that...

1. Statisticly babies who have moms that smoke have less of a chance at surviving.

2. Statisticlly babies who are born "lbw babies" have less of a chance at surviving.

- now here is the paradox-
and i'm not sure if I understand

3. Statisticly babies who are lbw, but who also have moms that smoke have the same chance at survival as otherwise healthy babies(?)

I dont know if its the same chance, I was hoping someone might've read the same thing and could clarify it for me.

I will sub-quote/para-phrase the pages I read in that it was said that lbw babies who have moms that smoke cigarettes seem to be at an advantage to lbw babies who don't smoke. Thus it is called a paradox

the part I dont understand is if the survival rate is equal.

Anyone who has read and understands please post a reply.

Thanks
|

Ok here it is...

Eb.Niehs.Nih.Gov/bwt/subcpara.Htm

that wasn't too hard
|

Especially eHealthy
adamblacksheep wrote:
i didn't get the info on this website, there are websites dedicated to the subject, it's in wikipedia, it's all over.

I know smoking while pregnant is risky, that was not my question.

There is a physiological/statistical phenomenon called "lbw paradox", try it on google search. I'd post a link but I dont know how.

I've read about it on a few websites, but I don't understand if what is being said is that lbw babies born to moms who smoke have the same survival rate, or just slightly lower.

It is called a paradox for a reason and the reason is that...

1. Statisticly babies who have moms that smoke have less of a chance at surviving.

2. Statisticlly babies who are born "lbw babies" have less of a chance at surviving.

- now here is the paradox-
and i'm not sure if I understand

3. Statisticly babies who are lbw, but who also have moms that smoke have the same chance at survival as otherwise healthy babies(?)

I dont know if its the same chance, I was hoping someone might've read the same thing and could clarify it for me.

I will sub-quote/para-phrase the pages I read in that it was said that lbw babies who have moms that smoke cigarettes seem to be at an advantage to lbw babies who don't smoke. Thus it is called a paradox

the part I dont understand is if the survival rate is equal.

Anyone who has read and understands please post a reply.

Thanks

i doubt it would be the 'same'. If lbw babies are statistically at a higher risk. And moms who smoke have higher risk infants. Then why would lbw babies with smoking mothers be 'equal' to otherwise average birth weight babies who do not have the same health/weight/smoking risks.

It seems kind of like too many statistics could have been brought into play. If we know smoking is bad for us, why do it when pregnant? Considering there is risk to a fetus and what could potentially happen, it seems like a no brainer.

People can make statistics say anything they want, they just have to use the right group of people to pull them from.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I don't even understand the point in posting about this.
Not trying to be rude, adamblacksheep. But it seems irrelevent.
The statistics don't matter.
Just don't smoke if you don't want a lbw baby.
|

I am not posting "about" this...I'm asking about this and I have reasons for wanting to know.

I'm not trying to figure out if pregneant women should risk smoking, because sometimes the infant is ok even tho it is small.

Who said anything about that?

Women who smoke lower the over all perinatal survival rate of the babies they are with, I am not saying otherwise, I am not trying to find a loophole, what is giving any of you this opinion.

Fine yes! Don"t smoke while youre with child.

That is a good idea.

Now my question is this. (to anyone who is not opinionated but informed or who would take the time to use the adress or the search engine to inform themselves...)

it seems to be a fact that babies who are 2000g. To 3000g. Are at a lower risk if they have moms who smoke than babies of the same weight who do not have smoking moms.(i do not think if the mom starts to smoke because the baby she is with is small, the same is true), but the literature dosn't say weather they are at the same as average weight babies or slightly lower or what, or if it does I am not seeing it, so could some one please explain?

Thanks
|

Especially eHealthy
Opinionated?

Twisted Evil
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Perhaps your source is unreliable.
|

Here is one of the address once again for anyone interested in reading before posting..

Eb.Niehs.Nih.Gov/bwt/subcpara.Htm
|

Especially eHealthy
adamblacksheep wrote:
blahblahblahblahblahblahblah... So could some one please explain?

why are you asking us? Why don't you research it more? I can't be bothered to go looking up things that you could just be reading yourself.
|

I don't have "a" source, I have several...

If you think the webpage i've provided is bunk, than I implore you to use you're search engine.

Enter in "lbw paradox" this is what the actual phenomenon is titled in the medical world.

Yes, opinionated is what it is called when you make comments from a place of inexperience or with out informing your self...
|

Especially eHealthy
adamblacksheep wrote:
i don't have "a" source, I have several...

If you think the webpage i've provided is bunk, than I implore you to use you're search engine.

Enter in "lbw paradox" this is what the actual phenomenon is titled in the medical world.

i don't think any of us care...
|

I'm not asking you, I specificlly said,

anyone who knows or would care to read it.

But you can be bothered to post a statement for no reason, just for the sake of posting??

I am asking here because I thought this was a forum for people to discuss physiology, health, epidimology etc.

Turns out to be a buncch of locker room quacking, so this place is what it has become, but I think these forums were established for people who have genuine medical questions
|

Especially eHealthy
A yahoo search on lbw paradox brings up 7 web pages, but some look like they could be from the exact same 'source'.

Since you have been so handy at researching this, maybe you already have your answer...
|

Whats up with you people? Why are you so offensive and nasty, all i'm doing is asking a question?
|

Try a google search, it's also in wikipedia etc..

Anyway I have researched it myself to the extent that I can, i've read it several times over but as said the facts seem vague to me so I came to this "medical questions forum" to see if anyone knew anything about it. I didn't ask anyone to do it for me.

If you don't know then why are you posting here just to be meen?
|

Some one said

"idon't think any of us care"

some one is so lonley that they saw some meager activity in one of the forums titled, "a question she dosn't care about", some one is lonley because she exhibits anti-social behaviour,
|

Especially eHealthy
You have called me opinionated and 'meen'. Rolling Eyes and, to clarify, you did ask us to research it for you by posting the link and then telling us if we chose not to read the 'research', then we should not respond.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...