Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Pacifiers And Breastfeeding...

Well, everyone's been buying me pacifiers for baby brianne but I read that if you're breastfeeding, you should not give your baby a pacifier... Is this true? I want to breastfeed exclusively when she's born but lots of people are telling me that pacifiers soothe babies... I'm not going to have a babysitter, brianne is going to come to work with me and stay in the bassinet that I have in my ofice. And I am not worried about her crying, I don't mind holding her all the time... Should I give her a pacifier? What do you all think?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
It can cause nipple confusion and she may reject the breast. Experts recommend that if you do give one, wait 6 weeks so she can first establish the breast.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I didn't have a problem with amelia, there wasn't any nipple confusion with her at all. They told me that nipple confusion occurs with nipples from a bottle because something acctually comes out of them. Dont' know if this is true but I didnt'have any problem either way.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Thanks Smile gen, do you exclusively breastfeed?
|

replied October 24th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
She has had the bottle all of three times maybe four. But it's been breast milk. My hole freezer is filled with breast milk for when I stop breast feeding. But it's wonderful
|

Especially eHealthy
sunflower_pie81 wrote:
she has had the bottle all of three times maybe four. But it's been breast milk. My hole freezer is filled with breast milk for when I stop breast feeding. But it's wonderful

how long is breast milk good for? You should rotate your older breast milk out, and replace it with the newer breast milk. It won't last forever.

As far as nipple confusion, the reason babies get confused with a nipple and breast is because breast feeding is hard work! They have to work at it, whereas with a bottle they have to work less and get more product. Everyone like less work for more!

My daughter used a pacifier and was breast fed exclusively for the first few months.
|

Extremely eHealthy
They say that if you freeze it it will be good for 3-6 months in a regular freezer but in a deep freeze it will last around 6-8 months. I use a deep freeze. I have the oldest in the front and the newest in the back. I'll throw it out as it ages.
|

I breastfed exclusively for 15mo and I used a pacifier since day one with no nipple confusion. This occurs more commonly with the bottle since they are both sources of food, less frequently with pacifier because it only helps with the need to suck. Hope this helps. I have been trained by a lactation consultant, please email me if you have any questions and if I can't answer them, i'll point you in the right direction.

Beth
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Thanks everyone for your replies Smile
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....